1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Okay - I am going to start pulling my hair out. I have developed several sites that use pretty good size databases to power information for the site. In particular, I am calling these databases and setting about 40 variables before the actual <html> tags in the documents.

Everything is working fine, all the variables are set - the site rocks the Cazzbah - except Navigator will not load it. When ever I get the page that calls the database extensively - navigator simply locks up (4.6, 4.7). Internet Explorer however, runs it fine.

I did a little research and all of my syntax is correct - check with several other programers - no html errors - nothing.

Someone - please - help. If you have had a problem like this - anyhting - it is killing me. I even tried separating the database calls into groups - actually querying the database more - still the same problem. I have tried multiple servers on REDhat and FreeBSD - all running APACHE with the PHP 4 module - and even the 3 module. Same Problem.

If someone can help - I would be happy to show code - just not here - it would make my message very long :-)

Please-------help........
  3. No Profile Picture
    Carpe Diem
    Post the URL.

It will be an error with the code and not PHP, if you post the URL (Mail me as well incase I miss it)

And I will do a code check for you

------------------

Regards
    Darren
    --
    http://www.php4hosting.com/ $
    http://www.php4hosting.co.uk/
    PHP/MySQL Enabled Hosting/Dedicated Servers
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

7. No Profile Picture

If IE displays it fine and NS freezes, then the problem is obviously client-side, either HTML or Javascript; changing servers is going to do nothing. I believe the problem is that you have nearly 10 layers of tables, which is way the hell too much for Netscape and is another lesson on why not to use wussy wigs. Clean it up and eliminate as many layers of tables as possible.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All that code was entirely written by hand. I used embedded tables to get a look that matched other sites. I do not think there are 10 layers - but is there anywhere that I can see what Netscape can handle in a situation like this - are there theoretical limits on what Navigator and Explorer can actually display?
  11. No Profile Picture

Of course there are, and when using tables-within-tables on NS, the limits are quite low. On your layout, though, you shouldn't need more than 3 layers of tables: you need to use more <tr>'s and <td>'s.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Yes as stated before Netscape cannot handle that kind of load. There are certainly ways to achieve what you have without nesting that many tables, and yes it was 10 layers deep. Cut out some tables, I have 6 mb dsl and I am a block for the co and it took my netscape nearly 30 seconds to load the page
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Will make all the changes required...

I will post another message after the changes are done for review.

Thanks for everyone's help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo