1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question OOP required for college-level social networking site?

Hello everyone. This is my first post in this forum.

I am developing a social-cum-professional-cum-academic networking site for my college. I will be using PHP for the scripting part. I shall be getting a shared hosting package (cannot afford VPS/ dedicated hosting at the moment). There are around 2500 students in my college. I'm expecting around 1200 active members.

The professional and academic parts will be fairly simple. The main resource hog will be the social section. It will have the following features - posting, uploading photos, updating profiles, search mechanism, buddy system, personal messaging and a leaderboard with points system. No chat option.

Now I am fairly comfortable with procedural programming in PHP, but I don't have any experience with object oriented programming. In fact, I have just started learning Java. My question is - do I need to implement OOP for my kind of site?

If yes, why and how?

A couple of years ago, I had developed a rudimentary social network and tested it with a couple of friends of mine. It was just a personal project, with only a subset of the features mentioned above. At that time, I had used only procedural programming. This time the user base is going to be much larger (hopefully), as mentioned above.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
    Debojyoti Ghosh
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

My question is - do I need to implement OOP for my kind of site?
    Not at all, but it might take less time for you to develop your software using OOP.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
    Not at all, but it might take less time for you to develop your software using OOP.
    Err, how is that?

I have no idea regarding this.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

not only that, but your code will be a lot cleaner.

First steps: READ About OOP so you know what it is and how it is used. We can tell you but you will need to do the implementation yourself.

once you do your research, you will have some idea of how good it is and how it can save time.

OOP is essentially the same as writing re-usable functions (well there is more than that ...)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

OOP is not necessarily better or faster (if anything, it is slower) than procedural programming. Also, you still use procedural programming, but use OOP techniques where applicable.

What OOP brings is a consistent way to organize data and functions. It also lends well to extending your code to perform other scope, so you don't need to duplicate as much code. In addition, it often makes troubleshooting easier (probably because your not duplicating as much code).

If various portions of your network site have many similar but slightly different requirements, then OOP might allow you to write your code faster. Of course, you will need to learn OOP first which will obviously take a little time. I would probably take the time to learn OOP so you can use it where it makes sense.
  11. No Profile Picture

Also, you still use procedural programming, but use OOP techniques where applicable.
    I like that idea. In fact that's what I have been wanting to do.

Only thing is that I have no knowledge of OOP concepts.

This question may sound a bit vague, but can you please tell me approximately how much time it takes for an average programmer to learn about the principles of OOP so that he can write his own programs from scratch?

Also, will it help if I know Java? I am just beginning to study it since I have it in my academic curriculum this semester.

Thanks and regards.
  13. No Profile Picture

OOP is not necessarily better or faster (if anything, it is slower) than procedural programming.
    Since I am probably going for a shared hosting package for my social networking site, which type of programming is advisable for me?

P.S. I am the sole developer in this project. No team-mates.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo