Thread: OsTicket

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

OsTicket

Has anyone done anything with osTicket? My desire is to use their back-end, and maybe their front-end for non-logged in users, but have a better UI for logged in users so they don't need to enter their email, etc. I've made a little progress, and think it is promising.

Thanks
  3. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I trailed it once but didn't like it and so I decided not to use it but to write my own from the ground up instead.
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by badger_fruit
    I trailed it once but didn't like it and so I decided not to use it but to write my own from the ground up instead.
    I've been pondering doing the same. How did it come out? Probably easier than trying to integrate to some 3rd party ticketing system?
  7. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yeah, it went really well.

Having worked in IT for about 18 years at the time doing everything from 1st line "log it and flog it" to FTF, 2nd line, 3rd line and so on, I knew how I wanted the system to work, how I wanted it to look and feel, I knew about the escalations, timers and so on that Service Delivery Managers want and of course, granted access to users (authenticated via LDAP) so they can manage their own tickets.

The system has been in use for about 3 years now and is working away well (as far as I know)!

It took about 6 - 8 months to write but it was well worth it - although now I look at the code and think "that needs to go" and "omg did I really write that!" but it's the same with any project, I've learnt so much more from when I wrote it, it's probably time for a re-write (plus, now I've learned more about CSS I can make it pretty as well as functional!)

Here's the user guide I wrote for it, I can't give actual access for obvious reasons but you can get a good idea about it from that!
    http://viveuk.net/support/docs/vTicket%20user%20guide_v1.2.pdf
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Badger, looks like you did a great job.

Originally Posted by badger_fruit
    although now I look at the code and think "that needs to go" and "omg did I really write that!"
    I seem to do this very often!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo