1. No Profile Picture
    RPGaming
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    This isn't specifically about PHP, but...

Do any of you know what technology mypage.go.com, my.netscape.com, home.microsoft.com, et al use for their customizable "my" pages? I'd like to implement something similar in a project I'm working on (with the customizable tables, minimize, maximize, edit, and all of that), but don't really know where to start looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    dahamsta
    Most of these systems would most likely use a scripting language like php3 backed by an SQL database. The servers use cookies to identify users by a unique ID and store their preferences in the database, thereby "remembering" the users setup. I'm not sure about netscape and go, but I would assume that microsoft would be using active server pages or another of their similar products to deliver the content. PHP3 and MySQL would be an excellent way to start, so if you want to go for that type system, I would start looking into them. If your site is very large, you could think about upgrading to Zend then when it is released.

Cheers,
    adam
  5. No Profile Picture
    RPGaming
    Thanks for the info. I've been looking more and more into using PHP, and I think it's going to turn out to be useful for a number of projects I'm working on.