1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PayPal PreApproved Payments

Hi, i have just finished integrating PayPal into my website and i am confused about one area of PayPal - PreApproved Payments.

My site allows users to make (approve) a PreApproved Payment. I understand that a PayPal user does not have to have any funds in their PayPal account in order to make (approve) a PreApproved Payment.

I was also under the impression that a PayPal user can also make (approve) a PreApproved Payment without a credit card or bank account linked to their PayPal account.

I have just create a new PayPal account (without adding a Credit Card or Bank Account) but as soon as i tried to make a PreApproved Payment on my website, it would not allow me... it asked me to add a Credit Card first... i am very happy that it has worked like this as i thought users were able to make PreApproved Payments without having a Credit Card or Bank Account connected to their PayPal account.

I was worried that spam users could create several PayPal accounts and spam my site with PreApproved Payments that were never going to be collected.

Can someone shed any light on the above... does a user have to have a Credit Card or Bank Account connected to their PayPal account in order to make (approve) a PreApproved Payment.

Thanks in advance...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

No but the account has to have a sufficient positive balance to cover the request.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi, thanks for your reply... so are you saying NO they don't have to have a Credit Card attached IF they have funds in their balance...

My worry was that users could create several "fake" PayPal accounts and then spam my site with "fake" PreApproved Payments... but surely this cannot happen then, right?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That is correct. It should be obvious that PayPal will not transfer money from an account with no way to cover the payment, either a cash balance, linked bank account or credit card.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, but in a PreApproved Payment... no money does move... you are only PreApproving a specified amount. You are not guaranteeing that the money will be available when the payment is actually processed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It doesn't matter if money is moved or not. If the PayPal account does not have a way to cover the funds, PayPal will not pre-approve, as you have already found out.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok cool, thanks a million for clarifying this...
  15. Contributing User

Hmm,

The last time I added a pre-approved recipient to my PayPal account, I was required to have at least one card, even though I had more than enough money in my account to cover the payment(s).

When I called PayPal's Customer Service, I was told that my account must have had at least one genuine card before I can accept pre-approved payments.

This was a while back, though. Things could have changed, now.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, thanks for your input... it is hard to keep up with everything with PayPal

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo