1. No Profile Picture
    worshipper of DOT
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I desperately need to set up PHP 4.0.0 on one of my windows-machines for testing purposes ...

I already have PHP 3.0.16 and PWS4 correctly configured and working on that machine.

Any tips on how to upgrade?
  3. No Profile Picture

Hello,
    I think you will be the right person to ask my doubt,
    From last 10 hours i am trying to run php3 file with my pws with win95,but it is giving as parser error.Please help me as u have already done it.

Tell me one think is it necessary to have apache for windows with your server for this??

if possible please send me php3.ini and php_iis_reg.inf.

thanks in advance,
    with regards,
    jignesh
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello,
    I think you will be the right person to ask my doubt,
    From last 10 hours i am trying to run php3 file with my pws with win95,but it is giving as parser error.Please help me as u have already done it.

Tell me one think is it necessary to have apache for windows with your server for this??

if possible please send me php3.ini and php_iis_reg.inf.

thanks in advance,
    with regards,
    jignesh
  7. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I tried forever to get PWS and PHP4.0 to work, to no avail. I tried everything it said in the instruction a few times. I had PHP3 running fine before...

I eventuall downloaded OmniHTTPd, it installs PHP4.0 automatically and you just have to add a couple lines in the setup. they are clearly desribed in the instructions.

i like omni a lot better than PWS...

---John Holmes
    ---www.SepodatiCreations.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    worshipper of DOT

jignesh:
    I got PHP 3.0.16 working by following the very simple instructions that came with the zip .. It worked perfectly fine for me, but PHP 4 won't ..

John:
    If I could, i'd install Apache on the machine i need to get PHP 4 working on, problem is that I need to test ASP-app's on it as well, so I'm stuck with PWS 4 since I can't afford IIS ..

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Linux, the operating system with a clue - Command Line User Environment.[/quote]

geeee... thanks!

/closecut
  11. No Profile Picture

I would be interested to see how PWS and Apache are able to work on the same machine (win98)

I first install PWS that works fine.
    Then I install Apache, PHP but I can't use Apache even if I stop PWS

Is there a possibilty to combine both and how ?

Thanks in advance
    Matchau
  13. No Profile Picture
    Robert_J_Sherman
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matchau:

I would be interested to see how PWS and Apache are able to work on the same machine (win98)

I first install PWS that works fine.
    Then I install Apache, PHP but I can't use Apache even if I stop PWS

Is there a possibilty to combine both and how ?

Thanks in advance
    Matchau
    [/quote]

I was able to have both installed, the trick isn't really a trick, naturally both server's can't be running at the same time.

Of course, I couldn't get apache/php4 to recognize the ini file without crashing the machine...

and I couldn't get php4 to work with pws either...

The only thing I'm really looking to get up and running is a damn webserver, that I can set up with http/1.0 401 I want to be able to set up www-authenticate and build encrypted passwords from a form, much in the way we use
    .htaccess/.htpasswd works on the apache.

I'm reading quite a few posts about this omniHTTPd server, and I may just give it a try. But like many developers, we don't have a lot of time to waste in configuring stuff..

Frankly, we work with Apache/Unix servers, on the web, but I develope on a win9x machine.

right now, I have php 3.0.16 installed with pws and that seems to work for the most part, but even with it, certain php functions don't work, like crypt() and imageGIF().. the libraries either are not loading, or just can't be used.. not sure which..

------------------
    SnR Graphics,
    Low Cost Hosting and Web Development.
  15. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

OmniHTTPd takes about 2 minutes to configure. It's perfect for testing scripts on a windows machine at home. If you are talking about using php to www-authenticate pages, it'll do that, i believe. that mostly has to do with the script anyways, from what i've seen.

crypt() can only be run on unix systems

image functions require some extra libraries, and maybe a recompile of php, i'm not sure about that.

I'd like to hear if ANYONE actually got PWS to run with php4.0. Is it a MS or a PHP problem??

---John Holmes...
  17. No Profile Picture
    Robert_J_Sherman
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SepodatiCreations:
    OmniHTTPd takes about 2 minutes to configure. It's perfect for testing scripts on a windows machine at home. If you are talking about using php to www-authenticate pages, it'll do that, i believe. that mostly has to do with the script anyways, from what i've seen.

image functions require some extra libraries, and maybe a recompile of php, i'm not sure about that.

I'd like to hear if ANYONE actually got PWS to run with php4.0. Is it a MS or a PHP problem??

---John Holmes...
    [/quote]

Well, I tried using www-authenticate HTTP/1.0 401 with the php4/Apache build, but it always return malformed header errors.

As for php4 and PWS, according to the php documentation there was supposed to be a .reg file included, which isn't in the download.

It may very well be a php problem, seems that php4 just won't run properly on win9x.

So many reports of problems, and most people seem to be reporting the same problems, of course, my problem was more relating to the php4ts.dll and the php.ini.

One or the other would cause a crash.

AS to the image functions, I was given to understand that all we needed was the phpX_gd.dll..

One last note, if crypt() isn't supported on win32, then why is there a crypt.dll? with
    the php3 installs, for win32???

------------------
    SnR Graphics,

[This message has been edited by Robert_J_Sherman (edited June 25, 2000).]
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Only one thing: as for the 401 (Authorization) header, you can't tuse it unless PHP is compiled as a module. I couldn't use it myself, with PHP 3.x. On Windows PHP is used as a CGI application, not as an Apache module.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Robert_J_Sherman
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwarf:
    Only one thing: as for the 401 (Authorization) header, you can't tuse it unless PHP is compiled as a module. I couldn't use it myself, with PHP 3.x. On Windows PHP is used as a CGI application, not as an Apache module.[/quote]

That would explain why Apache returned Malformed Header errors, when I attempted to use it.

Is ther a work around for this?

I mean really, it's the only reason I want to set up the local server.. well, it's one of two reasons.

PWS doesn't allow for it, (authorization), so any user with my IP can access my server, which is fine.. to a certain degree, but I have a customer database, product database, and so on.. and I'd really like to be able to "restrict" access to that..

------------------
    SnR Graphics,
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I am not sure I got what you want to do, but if you want to protect a ceratin directory and all the things that are in it, you could use the .htaccess file. It works perfectly nice on Apache on Windows (I use Apache 1.3.12 and Windows 200 pro.).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions regarding .htaccess setup, fell free to ask.
  25. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SepodatiCreations:

---John Holmes...
    [/quote]

All right, after a bit of frustration I finally got PHP 4 and PWS to work together on both my NT workstation and my Win95 notebook. Here's what I learned... Yes it's true, the registry file itself was not included but the README file does include almost everything you need to create one. Let me walk through the steps and see if anything was left out along the way.

I posted the PHP4 and PWS tutorial on a web site.
    http://www.planetkc.com/quick/index.html

J.T. Quick

[This message has been edited by jtquick (edited June 25, 2000).]
  27. No Profile Picture
    Robert_J_Sherman
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwarf:
    Well, I am not sure I got what you want to do, but if you want to protect a ceratin directory and all the things that are in it, you could use the .htaccess file. It works perfectly nice on Apache on Windows (I use Apache 1.3.12 and Windows 200 pro.).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions regarding .htaccess setup, fell free to ask.
    [/quote]

True, this does work, when apache is configured, however you still need a method
    to crypt() the password for the htpasswd file.

Which since the php crypt() function doesn't work and you can't direct an .htaccess file to pull a password from a database, you're left with needing a win32 perl script to do the cryption, now I can write perl.. but have never found anything to tell me how to port perl unix to perl win32.. so I haven't the clue on how to convert many of my perl unix scripts to win32.. and actually as I've been told by a few other perl programmers, many perl unix scripts really can't be ported very well, and I'm inclined to believe many of mine would have this problem.

------------------
    SnR Graphics,
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, you don't actually need a crypt function. You can pull a neat trick with a single system() call, either from perl or PHP. htpasswd is a command which creates or modifies files in which usernames are stored. If you run it (as you probably have), you can see that it prompts you for a password. But, if you run it with a -b switch, it will accept both username and password from the command line. Something like:
    htpasswd -b c:www_rootdocsusers newuser newpassword

As for perl scripts, you can port them to Win32, but you will have trouble if you rely on some UNIX-specific commands. I test some scripts on my Win2K and have no problems at all...