1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Are there any RPM binary installations of the final PHP4 for Redhat i386?

Our whole system is setup from RPM's so i can't compile PHP4 from scratch (no APXS) without reinstalling/compiling the entire system!

Shame because my current project desperately needs the session capability of PHP4
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, even if you had RPM's you would still need APXS to load the modules.

So you have to re-install Apache with APXS support and have it load the php module, or compile PHP into Apache.

------------------
    PHP, Perl, SQL Programming at http://www.mentalobjects.com
  5. No Profile Picture

What about mod_php RPM's? We managed to install and run the PHP3 version of this without APXS support. I really don't want to have to re-install apache as i already have SSL and MySQL running nicely!
  7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>I really don't want to have to re-install apache as
    >>i already have SSL and MySQL running nicely!
    Your MySQL can be remained intact. If you insist not to compile from source, just wait for the damn Redhat PHP 4.0.0 RPM then.
    Believe me, reinstalling apache now will benefit you in a long run. Apache RPM is for newbie or lazy people or experimental purpose. There is 99.99% of chance you will end up compiling Apache from source in the future so why not doing it now? If you will install mod_perl-1.24.tar.gz or PyApache-4.19.tar.gz (mod for Python) or libapache-mod-dtcl_0.7.3-1.tar.gz (mod for TCL) or ApacheJServ-1.1.1b1.tar.gz or apache-contrib-1.0.8.tar.gz or mod for frontpage 2000 or any others in the future, your Apache RPM will not work. In addition, most of them don't come with RPM and enable very few options/supports by default.

Check out http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Forums/F...ML/000020.html
  9. No Profile Picture

freebsd- whomever you are can you help (willing to pay if necc)
    Total apache newbie when it comes to compiling etc. Used to cobalt raq with its rpms.
    Anyway have new system colocated and set up by my providers with rhlinux 6.2- apache 1.3.12 mod_php3.
    Anyway have tried for the life of me to install php4, mysql , php 3.0.16, mod_frontpage for apache. Success rate of about 10%. Mysql (rpm) is working - php4 is not- although got the 3.016 working but without mysql support. Frontpage patch not working.
    I need help with this please.
    email nhaines@btinternet.com

11. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>Mysql (rpm) is working - php4 is not- although got
    >>the 3.016 working but without mysql support
    No Surprise. In order to install php with mysql support, you need to have mysql installed in the first place. Therefore, RPM version of PHP4 can't make mysql as a dependency of PHP4 since it's not a requirement. So --with-mysql option is not configured by default.
    However, some RPM of php4 might have --with-mysql enabled by default and make mysql as a dependency of it, which one? I don't know or won't care.

As for mod_frontpage, you first need to make sure you have installed "DES Library". It's 'Data Encryption Standard'. FP needs this.

Go to:
    ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.microsoft.com/Products/frontpage/fp40.linux.tar.z and grab your mod_frontpage.
    Ask yourself do you really need frontpage? If so, install FP and apache first, then add php using apxs at later time. For PHP instruction, go to http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Forums/F...ML/000020.html