Thread: PHP cake error

1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

PHP cake error

Hi;

I installed cake php and I get this error. The tmp folder is 777.

Warning: _cake_core_ cache was unable to write 'cake_dev_en-gb' to File cache in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/Cache/Cache.php on line 325

Warning: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/app/tmp/cache/persistent/ is not writable in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/Cache/Engine/FileEngine.php on line 380

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'CacheException' with message 'Cache engine _cake_core_ is not properly configured.' in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/Cache/Cache.php:181 Stack trace: #0 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/Cache/Cache.php(151): Cache::_buildEngine('_cake_core_') #1 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/app/Config/core.php(367): Cache::config('_cake_core_', Array) #2 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/Core/Configure.php(72): include('/Applications/X...') #3 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/bootstrap.php(177): Configure::bootstrap(true) #4 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/app/webroot/index.php(92): include('/Applications/X...') #5 {main} thrown in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/lib/Cake/Cache/Cache.php on line 181
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

You need to check ownership and permissions on cache and persistent.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by You
    The tmp folder is 777.
    But...
    Originally Posted by Your Error
    /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/cake/app/tmp/cache/persistent/ is not writable
    Why does /tmp/ relate at all to /Applications/?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    But...
    Why does /tmp/ relate at all to /Applications/?
    I don't know Dan.

When you download Codeigniter and visit localhost/codeigniter_site, everything is alreadt set up right and works fine.

When you download PhpCake and visit localhost/PhpCake, it shows a bunch of errors.

There are instructions on the net about changing permissions of some specific folders. Some of those folders do not exist anywhere.

Unlike Cake, Codeigniter is great in this regard.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm ask YOU why YOU think /tmp has anything to do with the folder the error message is complaining about. Look at the error. THAT FOLDER is not writable. Go make it writable.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    I'm ask YOU why YOU think /tmp has anything to do with the folder the error message is complaining about. Look at the error. THAT FOLDER is not writable. Go make it writable.
    Hey Dan;

I am sure you are aware local host is /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/

About app folder:

tmp folder is inside app folder.

In a few threads posters mention tmp should be writable. The system further asked me to make these writable as well.

app/tem/cache/model
    app/tem/cache/persistent
    app/tem/cache/views

It's all working fine.

I wonder why they did not make it writable originally. That was the point of this thread. If package is ready for download and use, why not make all the settings right like CI does?

There maybe a reason for this.

Thanks
    Attached Images
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you moving away from CI
  15. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    you moving away from CI
    It has been great using CI.

I remember last year I wanted to see what is "a php framework" and I started checking Zend out. It was like hell. Not for beginners.

Then I ran into CI and looked like a miracle

Now its time to check cake out for fun.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

cool. thanks for replying back and let us know how you get on. I, like you, have also been using CI so would like to move on to soemthing else, i have dabbled on cakephp before but for some reason went with CI as it was reported to be lighter than cakephp.

there are few more frameworks out now, so maybe do a comparison or look at docs etc.
  19. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    cool. thanks for replying back and let us know how you get on. I, like you, have also been using CI so would like to move on to soemthing else, i have dabbled on cakephp before but for some reason went with CI as it was reported to be lighter than cakephp.

there are few more frameworks out now, so maybe do a comparison or look at docs etc.
    Hey;

Cake's manual is not as neat as CI but I'm getting in to it now. Looks o right.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo