1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP Chat Program

Hey everyone,

This may not be the best place to put this question, but I figured I could find a good amount of advice.

I am looking to integrate an instant messaging section on my web app. It's written in PHP/JAVA, but 90% php. I would like to be able to auto-login the user from a script or backend. For example, once they login to the site with their username and password, a script also logs them into the instant messaging. I hope that makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am open to an suggestions and advice as well. Thank you!
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

you'll have to look at whatever handles the authentication for the instant messenger and have it key off the login information for your website. So go into the code of the IM program and find the login() function (or equivalent). Look how that handles authentication. Does it check a database table or the session or anything like that? Replace that code with code that accesses the proper tables and session values of your web app.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo