Thread: PHP clueless

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I heard PHP does really good things for websites and business. And I'm asking anyone who's willing to answer... what the heck is PHP? Do I need to know anything before I start learning PHP? If you have the good explanation or have a very very very easy tutorial on a page, it would be most appreciated. Lemme just tell you, I know NOTHING about PHP, but I know HTML and thats pretty much it.

------------------
    Dylan
    http://www.derivy.com
  3. No Profile Picture

PHP is a hypertext processor. It allows you to write code that will dynamically build your web page in html... It's simular to ASP, but more capable. Where ASP is simular to VBA, PHP follows more the C, Java, Perl schema. You should really check out their web page: www.php.net It's a awesome tool!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, php rocks and is relitively easy to pick up, you can put <?php tags into your HTML code and this tells the (correctly configured) webserver to do clever stuff, for example:

<html>
    <body>
    <P>Hello today is <? print date("d-m-Y"); ?></p>
    </body>
    </html>

will show todays date

Also php is FREE, it works well with MySQL which is a FREE database and you can use it easily with apache which is..wait for it..a FREE webserver =)

No need to have a M$ webserver running NT/Windows 2K server and IIS (the webserver) to learn new stuff. (but you can still run php on NT BTW)

Just download the bits for your OS from the respective sites php.net/mysql.com/apache.org and you've got a fully functioning webserver that can deliver dynamic database driven webpages for....

*FREE*

heh

and there are loads of companys that you can get dirt cheap/free webspace from so you can host your lovely new, clever website on, no need to pay for expensive NT hosting

good luck

</rant>

p.s. It's also not so scary as PERL/CGI IMO as a starting point

------------------
    http://back-end.org
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PHP is a easier and more efficient Server side Scripting Language. The biggest benefit it has is that it is a free and open source.
    It is also easy to learn and u can get lots of tutorials at www.Php.net , www.Phpwizard.com, and lots of Php scripts at Php-Script.com and hot-scripts.com .
    Well then Best of Luck to all the new Php readers.