1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which is the best PHP framework to learn; i.e zend, MVC , cognitor etcmo

hi everyone.

quick question.

i am trying to improve/advance my knowledge/understanding of PHP so that i can land a well paid job.

i notice that employers are asking for their developers to have a Framwork behind them eig. MVC,cognitor, Zend etc.

my question is this. which is the best/easiest to learn of all of them ( i.e ease of use, documentation, support etc).

and most important, which one will stand me the best chance of getting a well paid job i.e which framework is the mostly widely used employers.( for example, i noticed that in the last week most jobs tend to ask for Zend, MVC)

warm regards

Andreea
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

MVC isn't a framework by itself, it's a design philosophy around which some PHP frameworks are built.

CodeIgniter I consider to be the easiest to learn. Yii is another popular framework that always seems to get high praise, but which I've never used myself. Zend and Symfony are heavier frameworks that you tend to see more in enterprise class applications.

There is a second class of PHP framework as well; content management systems. The major frameworks there tend to be Joomla, Drupal and WordPress, none of which I feel are very good. These tend to be more difficult to learn.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo

Zend and Symfony are heavier frameworks that you tend to see more in enterprise class applications.
    Hello Again everyone.

Thank you to Oreo for his reply.

i take note that you said that CodeIgniter is easiest to learn. but does anyone have any idea which of the systems will be best to learn in-terms of getting jobs. i mean, there is not really much of a point in learning CodeIgniter if employers are not really asking for it.

i mean, i have have not seen many jobs in which they have asked for CodeIgfniter).But i have seen a lot where they have asked for Zend.

warm regards

Andreea
  7. For POny!

Originally Posted by andreea115
    but does anyone have any idea which of the systems will be best to learn in-terms of getting jobs. i mean, there is not really much of a point in learning CodeIgniter if employers are not really asking for it. i mean, i have have not seen many jobs in which they have asked for CodeIgfniter).But i have seen a lot where they have asked for Zend.
    that has probably something to do with what E-oreo said.
    Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Zend and Symfony are heavier frameworks that you tend to see more in enterprise class applications.
    I know that zend has some certification stuff, so it would be easy for companies to know if you're "qualified" (according to the test).

I think it really depends on the companies you want to work for. You could of course keep a tally of what you see.

I must admit though I see loads of work coming from CMS like joomla and wordpress. But those are not frameworks like zend and the others, they are more of an application on itself that can be extended. (mostly for small scale sites, certainly the wordpress ones)
    Last edited by aeternus; March 3rd, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

If you want to learn from zend, MVC , cognitor etcmo then you should go for Zend. In particular, Zend uses many of the object oriented concepts like Abstraction, Inheritance and implements a number of methods form the Standard PHP Library.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo