1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP hard to learn or not?

PHP hard to learn or not? what is require to start PHP?
  3. Contributing User

Just as a good example (among many others)

Beginning PHP 5.3

IMHO, as long as you have good resources (books, tutorials, ...) and good methods (doing exercices, searching the web, ...) and of course you spend enough time, no it is not difficult to learn.

Regards,
    Dariyoosh
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by sarfrazmalik111
    PHP hard to learn or not? what is require to start PHP?
    Dude! What kind of question is that? Is it hard or not? Who are you? What do you know? How is anyone here supposed to know if it's gonna be hard for you or not. Just try it for yourself. Seriously.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you've done any sort of programming before then PHP is no more difficult to learn than any other language (hint: HTML is not generally considered to be programming, although I've not looked into HTML 5 yet, which may be different).

I'd consider programming to be a discipline that needs practice, like learning to play guitar, the more often you practice, the better you will become. Like learning guitar, many people give up programming too soon and too easily and marvel at those people who simply put in the hours.

Regards,

Shaun.
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

I agree with zxcvbnm. You might as well ask if English is hard to learn. If it's your very first foreign language: yes. If you've already learnt Chinese and 8 other languages: no.

Generally speaking, PHP is a very simple run-of-the-mill language. The syntax, control structures, data types and basic functionalities are all as ordinary as it gets. If you've learnt any other C-like language, you know them already.

PHP is pretty much just a bunch of loose functions, so you should get started very easily. There's no object model or other fancy stuff you have to learn first (though PHP does support OOP and other more advanced techniques).

Writing good code in PHP is hard, however. There's so many terrible tutorials, bad code and obsolete examples around that you really have to work hard to get it right -- PHP itself will put a lot of obstacles in your way.

So my advice would be: Buy a book that's good and halfway up to date. Then keep learning with (good) forums and the PHP manual to make sure you keep informed. Many books and tutorials are stuck somewhere in the year 2000.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo