1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Php and javascript integration

Hey all,

I am a bit of a rookie and am working on a project for myself where I want the user to click on an article, or link, that will submit a query to a MySQL database. Data will be pulled and the page will be updated without a reload of the page. I know that javascript can handle the updating of the page. As I said earlier, I am somewhat a rookie at php. Could you guys help me think through this? I have set up all the php objects for the database by following a tutorial series on Lynda.com. How do I get the data that php pulled from the database to be dynamically updated to the page?
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's called AJAX. Not to sound lazy but Google around for tutorials on it: there's a lot of them.
  5. No Profile Picture

After posting this, I did some more googling around as you suggested. After doing so I came up with another question. Is is possible to do AJAX using single page submission where the PHP code is located at the top of the page? Most of the tuts I found said that a separate file is used that has just the php server side code.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wizard1399
    After posting this, I did some more googling around as you suggested. After doing so I came up with another question. Is is possible to do AJAX using single page submission where the PHP code is located at the top of the page? Most of the tuts I found said that a separate file is used that has just the php server side code.
    w3schools has a set of ajax primers that will get you up to speed in a couple of minutes. As a new user i can't post link, but you shouldn't have a hard time finding it.
  9. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by wizard1399
    Sure. What matters is the code being executed, not where it is. Some people like scattering functionality across multiple files while others like sticking everything in one location.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo