1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP Keeps MySQL Connection Alive

Hello guys,

Is it possible to keep MySQL connection alive even after the end of PHP scripts? I want only to connect once and keep the connection active for "X" minutes.

Thank you.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes but you very rarely should. There are penalties for doing so.

Are you having a problem?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Yes but you very rarely should. There are penalties for doing so.

Are you having a problem?
    I want to execute mysql_connect and mysql_select_db only once and then run mysql_query for the queries...
    Can you provide any solution for keeping alive the connection? I tried wait_timeout and interactive_timeout but this only works in MySQL console. In php the connection automatically close once the script ends.

Thank you
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

since requinix' warning obviously wasn't clear enough: Do not use persistent connections unless you really, truly know what you're doing.

Managing persistent connections isn't trivial. You have to know exactly what the risks and benefits are, and you should have a very good reason for using them. Vague assumptions like "I think they're more efficient" is not a good reason.

The question is: What problem are you trying to solve? What's your actual goal?
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

since requinix' warning obviously wasn't clear enough: Do not use persistent connections unless you really, truly know what you're doing.

Managing persistent connections isn't trivial. You have to know exactly what the risks and benefits are, and you should have a very good reason for using them. Vague assumptions like "I think they're more efficient" is not a good reason.

The question is: What problem are you trying to solve? What's your actual goal?
    SOLVED

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : Solved how? Please don't close your threads, often times people have additional comments or better solutions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo