1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a serious crisis here. I wrote a navigation script that will just simply put the next and the previous links in the page.

Problem:
    The websites were made with Dreamweaver. Initially it was made with layers, then these layers were converted to tables. Because of that, it creates a whole ****load of unnecessary rows and columns, but without them, the page do not look correctly because of the colspan or rowspan attributes in some sections of the table. Now the rows and columns are different for each website, so that means I cannot insert the same rows and columns for every page (even though they look the same). The only soluntion I can think of is to divide the page into 3 or 5 parts (depends on the page) so that the script will insert the proper rows and columns for each page. BUT my company does not want to do that because it is too much work. I was thinking about putting in a variable in the section where the links are, but PHP is server side, not client side, so that wouldn't work either. Any ideas?

It would really help if one of you can give me a real good idea without having to more than 2 changes in every page.

Yanik!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    I hate to be harsh, but this is what people get for using that trash. Your problem isn't with PHP.

The only suggestion I could possible make is to insert a placeholder with dreamweaver then go into the code and replace the placeholder with the php code.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Only comment is to rod k, Dreamweaver isn't trash, its only a hindrance if you don't double check the code that you create with it. People who choose to use it without learning html are the problem, it cuts my production time more than in half.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you, that was helpful.

I just want to say that Dreamweaver is the best software out there to maintain an entire website, but I always hand-code the source. My co-workers don't and they don't even bother learning the html codes.

****ty place to work 'eh?
  9. No Profile Picture

"People who choose to use it without learning html are the problem, it cuts my production time more than in half."

I agree. If you have intimate knowledge of html, dreamweaver is a dream.

pardon the pun

-shaker
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just want to say that Dreamweaver is one of the best designing tool but not pogramming one if u want to do real programming u must atleast know HTML.
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Sorry guys - have to agree with rod k, dreamweaver may be the best of a bad bunch, but It is still a bad bunch!

A good text editor that you are familiar with can make sites just as fast as any of them. And twice as fast if your site involves much scripting client or server side. (Also twice as lean)

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  15. No Profile Picture
    a total freak

i dont want to ruin the fun, but yduvoid needs a problem to solve...

does anyone have any solution here?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No worries, the problem is solved.

Firepages, I just want to say that text editors are perfectly good, but if you're operation a large website, would you rather use text editors or Dreamweaver?

I would rather use Dreamweaver because I can setup a template so that certain areas of the page are editable, set up the website. Now I want to change my logo, I can change it on the template, and Dreamweaver will automatically update it to all the sites. They can also update your links if you move the files. I use Dreamweaver, but I always hand-code them and always will.

Although, Dreamweaver have all kinds of bugs which can be a pain in the *** to work with, but the bugs are at it's minimum if you hand-code them. (only one common bug that you may have to deal with every once in a while).