1. Senior Member
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi,

I've been experimenting with PHP & MySQL-databases for a while now, but now I'm trying to use existing Paradox databases. The problem is I don't know how to connect to it (I read something about ODBC but I don't really get it..)
    Can somebody help me with this by telling me how it's done or where I can find instructions how to do it? I'd really appreciate it! :-)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You need to create an odbc data source on the machine that holds the paradox database. To do that, open up your control panel and click on odbc. Note: you are going to need a odbc driver that allows microsoft to connect to the paradox database. You may have to download this from the paradox vendor.
    Once you set up the odbc data source you can access the database from php using the native php odbc functions.
    As you do with mysql, you simple specify the database you'd like to access by refrencing the dsn (data source name) that you gave the odbc data souce when you set it up.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Yhe other option is simply to export your tables, paradox is my favourite database for offline work - it also has a variety of export options including Comma seperated files which you can then import into MySQL, you can work with ODBC but this can get complicated so maybe this is an option.

Simon

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  7. Senior Member
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Thanx both! I'll try these options. If I import the databases to MySQL, is there a simple way to export them back to a Paradox database?

Jeroen
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to read the file into the machine to export again? I don't have paradox and when I try it to import it with Access it says, "External table is not in expected format." Need some help. This the db file that is generated from MP3 Database, and according to the author it is a paradox db.

-S
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Stephen -try importing the db file as a Dbase file in access - if this does not work - create a table in an access mdb and try the import table structure/data options - paradox tables can be locked or password protected maybe this is the problem - also Corel Paradox8 tables differ from older Borland tables. -if all else fails zip/mail it and I will convert it for you.

simon@www.firepages.com.au

Mirax - Paradox can import comma seperated files as well - a table dump from MySQL can be formatted this way

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL