1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I am having a really twisted time on this Cold Fusion vs. PHP thingy!

I am building a large dynamic site and the fastest and cheapest solution I could find was working with a group of CF developers.

This was very difficult for me since I am a strong supporter of Open Source.

Does any body have experience with working with the two languages who can tell me with real world experience what are the differences between the two in terms of performance and reliability, etc.

For better ODBC connectivity, we will be running on Solaris machines since CF does not have good ODBC connectivity on Linux or freeBSD.

Thanks
  3. .Net Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Does any body have experience with working with the two languages who can tell me with real world experience what are the differences between the two in terms of performance and reliability, etc.

i do programming in 5 server side technologies(asp,jsp,cgi/perl,php and coldfusion).but i like php and jsp more than other technologies.

Performance wise ,Php would do better than coldfusion.Coldfusion is very simple and easy for small scale projects.But When you do some complicated projects you will have to rely on php.That has everything which you want to develop a wonderful site.Only advantage with CFM is that you can develop a site very quickly.

Personally i haven't faced any problem with any of the above technologies.So i won't say coldfusion is very bad.All these technologies are having some advantages over each other.

<<This was very difficult for me since I am a strong supporter of Open Source.>>

that is good..

------------------
    SR -
    webshiju.com

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."

[This message has been edited by Shiju Rajan (edited July 28, 2000).]
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

"For better ODBC connectivity, we will be running on Solaris machines since CF does not have good ODBC connectivity on Linux or freeBSD."

If you are starting off with problems - lets hope it gets better?

<<This was very difficult for me since I am a strong supporter of Open Source.>>

With the greatest of respect to Shiju Rajan and yourself, I do not personally think that open-source or not should add any weight for or against a project.

Functionality, reliability, and ease of use, are my personal albeit mercenary motives for using any system.

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL