Thread: PHP vs. Perl

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello,

I want to ask your opinion about doing a job better in Perl or PHP. I'm a novice at both, so I have full choice

The task is the following:
    It is basically a formmail, but consisting of multiple (about 20-50) single formpages, which should finally be linked together to one single email. The sequence and total count in filling out the forms by the user is not fixed, but depends on user entries.
    Of course it should be foolproof, i.e. not completed fills should be trashed after timeout, multiple users should use it at the same time, etc.
    Password login is also mandatory.

I thought of creating the start form static and then let the script create all following formpages dynamically.

What do you think ?

Cheers,
    Gerhard
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure I quite understand, but...
    20 to 50 seperate forms?! Damn, that sounds like a daunting task. Regardless, why do you need that many forms?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, the thing is an architect's idea for an online 'construction consulting system' - an issue which is in fact very complex.
    Of course you can pack the whole thing in a 100 pages wordfile and let the user mail it back, but the great thing should be, that by answering multiple choice questions, the user is led only to the questions that apply for him.

Gerhard
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok, I am a PHP programmer. Now I am working in Argentina.
    I think that you have to use PHP. It's similar to C++ language. I don't understand well why you have to creat 20-50 forms...I am sure you have an error there. Maybe you can put it all together, and modify it's layout, or passing many hidden inputs, or do something like that. Ok, do wathever you want, but I strongly recommend the use of PHP.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

As I replied once before in this forum - look at a 'simple' PERL script, dry your eyes , then look at the equivalent PHP coding, my favourite is....

mail($recipient,$subject,$Message,$headers).

beautiful isn't it.

40 or 50 pages !!!!!!!! if it ever gets off the ground - mail me this I have to see.

You will obviously havs a massive amount of variables knocking around I beleive you will find the easy way PHP deals with variables and variable variables almost a must.

But the reason I personally love PHP is.... even when dealing with subjects I am not used to dealing with, and have no prior knowledge of ie:writing to flatfiles etc(I was weaned on databases) it only takes a short period to get the grasp of -whatever- in PHP, you can acheive a lot often without even knowing how you did it!(a bad thing) but get it done nonetheless(a good thing).

Ok finished waving my stick now - think I will go find a PERL programmer - better still an ASP head to poke with it.

Regards
    Simon.

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL