1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi PHPers!

I am part of a project team that will implement a Web based WAP management system. The main function of WWW version of the web site is to manage the user's settings of the WAP version site.

Since all the huge databases are in Oracle, and the previous versions was develop with Perl, i ask you if there is any advantage to convert the web site to PHP (my preference!!)...

Please, gime pros and against for each language in this conditions.........

Thanks in advance!!!

Valter Santos
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The biggest advantage of PHP over Perl is that PHP was designed for scripting for the web where Perl was designed to do a lot more and can because of this get very complicated. The flexibility / complexity of Perl makes it easier to write code that another author / coder has a hard time reading. PHP has a less confusing and stricter format without losing flexibility. PHP is easier to integrate into existing HTML than Perl. PHP has pretty much all the 'good' functionality of Perl; constructs, syntax and so on, without making it as complicated as Perl can be. Perl is a very tried and true language, it's been around since the late eighties, but PHP is maturing very quickly.

Courtesy www.php.net
  5. .Net Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Go a head with PHp.you can develop WAP enabled sites very easily with PHP.
    You can find out some good article for the same subject here in Devshed.com

------------------
    SR -
    webshiju.com
    www.jobxyz.com-IT Career Portal
    ezipindia.com--WebStudio

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."
  7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    Right, PHP was designed for scripting for the web. In general, it's faster and easier than Perl.

>>PHP has pretty much all the'good' functionality of Perl

Not true if you check out http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-module/

In terms of functionality, PHP is not capable to do 10% of what Perl can do with the addition of perl modules.

However, PHP has been improving in a much faster pace than Perl these days. In 5 years, PHP should be capable to do 50% of Perl's functionalities.

There isn't any battle or flame war here. If you know both Perl and PHP, then use the right language for the right task. If you just know one of them, just stick with it.
    PHP is simply vsantola's perference, so there is no reason for him to learn Perl from scratch.
  9. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freebsd:
    PHP is simply vsantola's perference, so there is no reason for him to learn Perl from scratch.[/quote]

Thanks freebsd! But i am also a Perl programmer... but i prefer PHP under Perl... what is in question here is that all the previous web site versions are made with Perl... but seems that the site's performance is not enough good... What I want to know is if there are good reasons to re-write all the site (class and scripts) with PHP to make it easier for all the team members to get the job done...

11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

IF you already have a perl script that works stick with that. Perl is a very powerful language but like others said it is also harded to learn. I know both perl and
    php and use both all the time.
    ----------
    Charlie...
  13. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>What I want to know is if there are good reasons to re-write all the site (class and scripts) with PHP

You make the call. It's all about opportunity cost in business term. I dunno WAP, so I can't give you suggestion on that. Easy to learn or maintain doesn't mean it's faster and more efficient.

For example, PHP scripts with database related seems to run faster. On the other hand, with something like LWP related, Perl is always Number one, in terms of speed and flexibility and functionalities. (PHP is wayyyy behind Perl in this category except the FTP functions with ftp enabled during configuration)

"linuxtoday.com" uses PHP for the frontend and Perl for the backend, why don't they use only PHP?
    You know both Perl and PHP, so make your own judgement and use the right language for the right task.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

please tell me how php call perl and how perl call perl?

thanks in advance
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Dunno about re-writing a whole app just to use PHP, as freebsd says what cost benefit is there? (hence your post)

PERL rules as a programming language and PHP rules as a web scripting language. If you are building a website, I personally would go with PHP every time any heavy stuff could still be PERL. Tho I'd be suprised if you actually need more than the 10% that PHP can usually pull off

RE: Wap, php has got good in-built XML parsing capabilites (XPAT)

bealers

------------------
    http://back-end.org