1. No Profile Picture
    anders
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    I want to write php3-files in windows and then transfer them to a Linux-machine to run them on an Apache. Is it possible? How do I do it?
  3. No Profile Picture
    rycamor
    To write PHP files in Windows all you need is a text editor. PHP files are just text files with a .php3 or .phtml extension.

To transfer them to Linux all you need one of the following:

1. a floppy disk
    2. FTP (Linux by default sets up with an FTP server)
    3. Samba (Linux emulating a Windows network server--I LEAST recommend the this one because it's more difficult and has security risks)

A good text editor for Windows is UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) You can download the 45-day trial, and if you like it only costs $30. It has support for syntax highlighting of many languages, including PHP

You can actually run PHP files on both Windows or Linux web servers if you are so inclined--the files themselves are cross-platform, as long as the server has the PHP engine.
  5. No Profile Picture
    anders
    Thank you!
    I'm allready using Ultraedit. It's my fave editor. But it doesn't allow me to save files with .php3 or .phtml extensions. Do I need somethig more to support the extensions?
  7. No Profile Picture
    rycamor
    I just save as "all files, (*.*)" and add the .php3 extension in the file name, and it saves fine. If for some reason UltraEdit doesn't have an "all files" choice, then you probably need to uninstall and reinstall.

Good luck with PHP; I also recommend you learn about MySQL (it's one of the recommended databases for PHP) Try this page: http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/webdb/ for a guide to using PHP with MySQL.