1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm handling user authentication on our IIS 4 server with php4 and sessions. When a user logs in right now, it checks their entered password to a mysql database and if it finds their login and pw, it sets $logged to 1. By default, when the page is loaded, $logged becomes 0. Is this very secure? Could someone just do http://path.to/script.php?logged=1 and pass right through? If so, whats the best way with php/mysql that I should handle user authentication. Also how could I encrypt the password that is stored in the database, either before it's sent to the database, or when it arrives there.

Thanks in advance,

-Justin
  3. No Profile Picture

Take a session ID when authentication is good. When session ID in combination with session ID is used, within let's say 15 minutes (updating the time) it's pretty secure.

Mzzls
    Dave
  5. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trahma:
    I'm handling user authentication on our IIS 4 server with php4 and sessions. When a user logs in right now, it checks their entered password to a mysql database and if it finds their login and pw, it sets $logged to 1. By default, when the page is loaded, $logged becomes 0. Is this very secure? Could someone just do http://path.to/script.php?logged=1 and pass right through? If so, whats the best way with php/mysql that I should handle user authentication. Also how could I encrypt the password that is stored in the database, either before it's sent to the database, or when it arrives there.
    -Justin
    [/quote]

Use the PHP md5($password) statement to store and compare crypted passwords. It's a lot more secure and means you don't have to store the actual password in the database, just the MD5 hash. As for people putting ?logged=1 in the URL ... if your code sets $logged to 0 unless logged in, then the URL-entered variable gets overwritten. No problem.

I've got a fairly comprehensive authentication script if anyone fancies it. Email me.

------------------
    --
    Does anyone else find it kinda perverse that we're using a Perl BBS to discuss PHP? ;-)