1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHPMyAdmin Taking Forever and Often Not Loading at All

Relative n00b to PHP here. I'm having a rather frustrating problem with PHPMyAdmin. Sometimes it blatantly just doesn't load. It pisses me off to the point where I just won't mess with it that day. I'm trying to really dig my heels in and learn something here, but I'm running out of patience with this thing. I'm to the point in my lessons where this utility is apparently something I'm going to have to use. But for some reason it doesn't want to let me use it.

I'm using the latest version of WAMP. But if this problem persists I won't be using anything because I'll be putting my fist through the computer screen. No but seriously, I would appreciate some guidance on how to figure out why it's being such an ***. It'd be great if somebody could tell me how I can go about troubleshooting it on my own instead of just throwing out the answer. Which goes against every fiber of my being right now because I can't even sit at my computer for more than ten minutes at a time without steam coming out of my ears. Is this how it's going to be forever?

There also seems to be some correlation with the amount of time WAMP server's been running. It seemed to be working fine, then I left the house for a couple hours, came back and it wouldn't load. So I restarted all services in WAMP, refreshed the page, and it STARTED to load, then just got stuck pretending like it was loading whilst nothing was happening. Now after only mere minutes, it's back to nothing. I can't wait till I get to write buggy apps that make people want to punch babies. Then I'll exact my revenge....haha no but for real, thanks for reading my post hope somebody can help.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Dude. Chill. If you're getting this stressed out over phpMyAdmin not loading then I don't know what to say.

First comes gathering data. Does it do anything ever? Or does it keep loading forever? Have you looked at Apache's and PHP's error logs? Can you connect to MySQL yourself using something else (like MySQL Workbench or the mysql client)? Might there be a firewall somewhere between you and the server?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jdevlin82
    Relative n00b to PHP here. I'm having a rather frustrating problem with PHPMyAdmin. Sometimes it blatantly just doesn't load. It pisses me off to the point where I just won't mess with it that day. I'm trying to really dig my heels in and learn something here, but I'm running out of patience with this thing. I'm to the point in my lessons where this utility is apparently something I'm going to have to use. But for some reason it doesn't want to let me use it.

I'm using the latest version of WAMP. But if this problem persists I won't be using anything because I'll be putting my fist through the computer screen. No but seriously, I would appreciate some guidance on how to figure out why it's being such an ***. It'd be great if somebody could tell me how I can go about troubleshooting it on my own instead of just throwing out the answer. Which goes against every fiber of my being right now because I can't even sit at my computer for more than ten minutes at a time without steam coming out of my ears. Is this how it's going to be forever?

There also seems to be some correlation with the amount of time WAMP server's been running. It seemed to be working fine, then I left the house for a couple hours, came back and it wouldn't load. So I restarted all services in WAMP, refreshed the page, and it STARTED to load, then just got stuck pretending like it was loading whilst nothing was happening. Now after only mere minutes, it's back to nothing. I can't wait till I get to write buggy apps that make people want to punch babies. Then I'll exact my revenge....haha no but for real, thanks for reading my post hope somebody can help.
    WAMP?? - For the love of whatever (and your sanity), use Linux. - You will never get PHP running on Windows, never mind PHPMyAdmin. - I remember several years ago when I made that mistake and had to download about 100Gb of files just to support what I needed just to get started ...and then the hellish process of trying to compile through Cygwin and Ming...

Comments on this post

• requinix disagrees : if you have to compile something to get WAMP working, you're doing it very wrong
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Dude. Chill. If you're getting this stressed out over phpMyAdmin not loading then I don't know what to say.
    I'm chill, I'm chill! I was exaggerating for humor's sake, wasn't anticipating anyone would actually think I was that stressed out over a computer program. Sorry if I came off that way. To answer your questions:

If I 'restart all services' in WAMP, it initially starts to load the sidebar, but that's about as far as it gets, sometimes it won't even load the icons before it just stops giving me anything. Then after a few minutes, I can't even get it to pull up index.php when I type http://localhost into my browser. It seems to be correlated to idle time, as it will work fine when I first boot up my computer and for as long as I'm actively working and coding and pulling up new pages, etc...but if I leave it idle and come back, it's just DOA.

Apache error log did not show anything unusual, but php_error apparently did not even exist on my machine until you suggested I check it just now, so thanks for that :-)

I can connect to MySQL through the console just fine, but I haven't tried any other clients besides PHPMyAdmin. Which leads me to another question:

Does PHPMyAdmin even have a very good rep in the actual working world of PHP development and DB admin? Is it commonplace to even use it, or is it more common for developers to just use the console?

Thanks for your quick response, hope the weather's as gorgeous there as it is here!
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by C M Stafford
    WAMP?? - For the love of whatever (and your sanity), use Linux. - You will never get PHP running on Windows, never mind PHPMyAdmin. - I remember several years ago when I made that mistake and had to download about 100Gb of files just to support what I needed just to get started ...and then the hellish process of trying to compile through Cygwin and Ming...
    I actually just installed Ubuntu and I'm getting pretty comfortable using Linux, which is pretty exciting! The thing that sucks is that I've used Windows for so long it just feels like I've invested so much time and effort into getting things downloaded, installed, debugged, etc...that I tend to put off completely transitioning to Linux out of the sheer intimidation factor of having to put in all that work again. Although I suppose it is a holiday weekend, and it'll save me a lot of future headaches. Thanks!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jdevlin82
    I actually just installed Ubuntu and I'm getting pretty comfortable using Linux, which is pretty exciting! The thing that sucks is that I've used Windows for so long it just feels like I've invested so much time and effort into getting things downloaded, installed, debugged, etc...that I tend to put off completely transitioning to Linux out of the sheer intimidation factor of having to put in all that work again. Although I suppose it is a holiday weekend, and it'll save me a lot of future headaches. Thanks!
    No worries, - I was there myself just a few months ago, when I decided to return to Linux. When you install php a useful trick at the start is to run (in the SSh window, once you are have extracted the PHP archive, and are in the archive directory) ./configure --help >> configure.doc, which should copy the help information into a .doc file. - You can then use that to ensure that you input all the required switches for your PHP compile process.

On the Apache side of things, ensure that you install both Apache prefork and Apache prefork dev (essential for the ASPX library).

You will probably find Debian the easiest to work with (Ubuntu, a close relative, is a pain in the proverbial whatever unless you want to be having to work with, and around, sudo all the time.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by C M Stafford
    You will probably find Debian the easiest to work with (Ubuntu, a close relative, is a pain in the proverbial whatever unless you want to be having to work with, and around, sudo all the time.
    Well, my goal is to get a white hat cert and become an ethical hacker so I can get a job doing pentesting. So I'm using Backtrack, but maybe I could just set up a new partition and install Debian alongside that. I'm honestly not proficient enough yet to even understand what the pitfalls of "working around sudo" are, as this Memorial Day weekend I'm just now getting the free time to join some forums and start asking these kinds of questions.

Thank you for the help!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Does PHPMyAdmin even have a very good rep in the actual working world of PHP development and DB admin? Is it commonplace to even use it, or is it more common for developers to just use the console?
    PHPMyAdmin has the widest install base of any PHP script in the world. It's basically the defacto standard for MySQL database management as far as PHP scripts go; to the point where I can't even think of any alternatives off the top of my head. Working with large sets of data in the console is a pain.

Are you using a copy of PHPMyAdmin that came with WAMP? You might want to try installing your own copy instead in case there is some issue with that preinstalled copy.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo