Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Please help with a small overview involving contact forms

Hi, I'm designing a website for a business and I have no experience (I was kind of thrust into it even though I do other IT work), especially with coding. I'm using a WYSIWYG program and it hasn't been an issue because this website is mostly informational but I've run into a snag.

I need to make a contact form that also includes file uploads and as I've been searching around I've run into a few snags. Since I have no coding experience I'm not sure what I need to do with the form builders I've used that have HTML for the site and a PHP script that needs to be on the server (or so it looks) and I'd like to make sure I don't do anything to mess this up for this business owner.

So I was hoping for a quick explanation as to what I would do when I get a functioning form on the site with the PHP script, if I can create a contact form on the site that functions just through the site (I'm guessing that's HTML only and through the browser), and if there's anything specific I need to watch out for

Thank you very much for any help you can offer! It really means a lot
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Can you get the form working (or close to) without the file upload? You can add that in once the rest is done.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Can you get the form working (or close to) without the file upload? You can add that in once the rest is done.
    Yeah I can. I've just been using online WYSIWYG form builders so I can drag in or out the file upload option.

I just have never uploaded a site to a host so I want to make sure I put the php script where it needs to be or find a way to make everything happen with the custom code I plug into the websote so I don't have to go beyond that
  7. No Profile Picture

I just want to make it so I have a standard contact form with file upload that does everything through the site and doesn't use anything outside of whatever code I plug into the contact page. Building the form is only half the battle. Making sure I implement everything correctly is the other half
  9. No Profile Picture
    Dazed&Confused
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Nepherael
    Yeah I can. I've just been using online WYSIWYG form builders so I can drag in or out the file upload option.

I just have never uploaded a site to a host so I want to make sure I put the php script where it needs to be or find a way to make everything happen with the custom code I plug into the websote so I don't have to go beyond that
    Assuming there's no hokey Apache settings you should be able to put the .php file in whatever path you'd usually put your .html files. The owner might prefer something of a cleaner file structure, but you can work that out later.

As for the file upload logic, php.net itself has a decent enough HTML and PHP example of handling a file upload. http://php.net/manual/en/features.fi...ost-method.php
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dmittner
    Assuming there's no hokey Apache settings you should be able to put the .php file in whatever path you'd usually put your .html files. The owner might prefer something of a cleaner file structure, but you can work that out later.

As for the file upload logic, php.net itself has a decent enough HTML and PHP example of handling a file upload.
    Ok so when I upload the site I put the PHP script in its own folder as a script to be called on I'm guessing. I will be on the phone with tech support for the entire upload process since I'm using a very cheap WYSIWYG editor that doesn't even show you the page code and uploads the website for you (LMSOFT web creator I believe its called) though it does allow you to put "custom code" in so that's how I will be putting this form in and why I'm scared about doing anything outside of the actual site editor since I don't know if it is designed well enough to be able to call on scripts or files outside of what it's doing itself.

The business wants nothing to do with the website so I've been completely solo for this whole thing (even the layout and content I've had to drag opinions out of him). I went with software I could afford because he wasn't willing to invest since his "current site design software only cost $35" even though his site was built with prestashop which is actually free and open source lol but I guess that's just what his last designer told him. I'm building an informational site to wrap around this prestashop store though

Got off on a tangent there for a minute but thank you very much for taking the time to help me guys!
  13. No Profile Picture

Ok I'm back to do a quick double check that I'm on the right track. This is the closest I've come to finding something that looks like it will work with the way I'm doing this website.

A quick recap. I'm using LMSOFT Web Creator Pro which is a WYSIWYG site designer that also uploads the entire website for you. I have no code experience so I want to make sure I get this contact form right since this is arguably the most important part of this website.

I've found some sample code here.

html-form-guide(dot)com/contact-form/contact-form-attachment.html

(change dot to . I'm not allowed to post links in case I'm a spambot since I'm a new user but I'm sure they'll let it slide seeing as I haven't done anything weird)

Will this form work with the way I am doing this? In order to put a form on the site I have to (in the web creator program) click "custom code" and paste whatever HTML code I have in there and it looks right.

What I'm worried about isn't how it looks but if it functions. When the program uploads the site automatically do I need to call the host and also get the PHP folder put in there somewhere? If so is there a specific subfolder name I need to use? Is there a line in the HTML form that calls on a specific subfolder?

I'm sorry if I'm making this overly complicated I just have no help with this at all and I haven't had any issues yet until I realized this website builder needs me to pay a subscription to use their email form and it runs through their servers. I need a contact form with file upload that works independently of any third party and runs right through the host servers and delivers to my e-mail address of choice.

Thank you for any guidance. It means a lot to me. Getting through this one website has the possibility of opening a big door for me and the business I'm trying to start.
  15. No Profile Picture

Or if anyone knows what I'm saying when it comes to what I need maybe you can just paste some HTML code that will do exactly what I'm asking or send me somewhere you know has what I'm looking for. Just a basic contact form that requires certain fields and has a file upload.

The only issue I'm having is making sure the form functions with this crappy site creator software. It might not even be a big issue, I've just never uploaded a site before so I don't know what awaits me. I could be making a mountain out of a molehill
  17. No Profile Picture

Bump for some help. I'm trying to finish the contact form by the morning since the business owner (after 3 weeks) has finally decided to look over the site
  19. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If there's still time...

The most straightforward thing would be to try it and see what happens. Be sure to look at whatever kind of error logs you have available: if there's a problem then there'll probably be something in there telling why.

Though it's a little hard to know what's going on without seeing the code. Can you post it? You might have to use a normal text editor to see it and not this LMSOFT thing.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. Yeah there's still time. It went from the business owner being finally ready to kinda being on hold again.

I was just going to use the code (or a form of it) from the link 3-4 posts up. In this web creator I can put a box and plug custom code into it (I think it specifies HTML or javascript) and it looks completely functional on the page. Problem is I don't know how to test it (it lets me preview the site in a browser. do i just go the preview and try it and see if it functions? That actually just occurred to me but I wanted to ask if it was an accurate test compared to being on the host server) and I also don't know code well enough to just simple say "ok if I put this in HTML code it will send the email straight to X email address" without knowing if there's something I'm missing (or a special php folder I need to upload with the site and to where)
  23. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

To give all other an idea how it worked, I had a look at the trial. The code is not create to make changes outside of the program.
    As a test, I added a small text block "My Text Example".
    Using the preview code in the browser i had following code:
    index.html:
    html Code:

<!doctype html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Home</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no">
    <meta name="generator" content="LMSOFT Web Creator Pro, Version:6.0.0.13">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9">
    <link href="./lmwcglobal.css?id=24050" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    <link href="index.css?id=24050" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./jquery/jquery-1.5.1.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./jquery/jquery-ui-1.8.11.custom.min.js"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="./jquery/themes/base/jquery.ui.all.css?ver=60013" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./jquery/LMCenterInWindow.js?ver=60013"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./lmpres60013.js"></script>

</head>

<body style="margin-Left:0px;margin-Top:0px;margin-Bottom:0px;margin-Right:0px; background-color:#ffffff;">

<DIV class="cLinkHidden">
    </DIV>

<div id='Page'>
       <div id='Text1'>
          <p style="line-height:0;text-align:left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:15px;">My Text Example</span></font></p>
       </div>
       <script type="text/javascript" src="./index.js?id=27587"></script>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

index.js:
    javascript Code:

//LMSOFT Web Creator Pro, Version:6.0.0.13
    //LMSOFT Kernel 90

var projectroot="./";
    InitResources2('en');
    var LMObjects = new Array();
    var objindex=0;
    var fontbase=96.;
    //---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    try {
    if(isValideBrowser(4.00,4.00)) {
    //---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LMObjects[objindex++] = LMDiv("Page",1,0,0,null,0,null,null,null,null,0);
    defpagewitdh=960;
    branchlist = new Array();
    LMObjects[objindex++] = LMText("Text1",1,1,0,null,0,null,branchlist,null,null);
    }
    }catch(e) {
    alert(e.message);
    }
    SetBaseColor(0x3f0,0x3f4,0x80);
    LMObjectAnimate();

Will not say I'm impressed on how it work, both its GUI and its Code.
    The latter could be acceptable if the GUI was sufficient, but as we just can see on this topic, adding a file uploader in the form is not just a "drag-and-drop" element.
    Last edited by MrFujin; June 20th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

Not to mention the only way to use their email form service is for it to send emails through their own servers. I just fail to see why they didn't leave an option for me to send emails through my host server. That's all I really want to do.

It has boxes you can put on the page and then plug whatever HTML code you want into them I just have no idea what HTML code tells my form to send an email and know it will be sent through my host server without needing some other folder uploaded on the backend that this program may or may not work with
  27. No Profile Picture

I just did something very interesting. I will make a copy of this post for my other topic in case it helps me.

I have been running a local server with xampp to test sites made with prestashop, wordpress, and other open source stuff and I just used the web upload function on LMSOFT Web Creator to upload the site to my local server.

All the files were converted to HTML, CSS, and Jscript files on the server.

Do you think I could take this new folder and use something like Microsoft Web Expression (or something some of you recommend that can access these files) to edit a contact form in?

Or can I get the code for the contact form, put it in, and upload the PHP part separately? (If I do this part I really need someone to tell me where to put the PHP script)

I spent a couple hours on this (getting permissions set and other problems) and I thought it worked well enough that if anyone ever came across this thread maybe they would be interested in the fact that the files are converted upon upload
  29. No Profile Picture

it opened right up in web expression. Now I just need to figure out how to get a nice looking contact form with file upload and have someone tell me where the PHP script folder goes.

So glad I was able to test the upload process
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo