1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

This is probably not the best place to post this question.
    I can start the mysqld fine by running the following command
    C:mysqlbinmysqld --standalone

and I can shut it down fine with the following command
    c:mysqlbinmysqladmin shutdown

But does anybody know how to set this up in win98 so that it will automatically startup mysqld on startup, and automatically shut it down on shutdown/restart?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am not 100 per cent sure that my advice will work, but give it a shot anyway.
    Go to the Windows Registry (run regedit.exe in the Windows dir). While in there, go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current Version - Run. You will have a list of programs that run on startup independently of the entries in Windows/Main Menu/Startup folder. Right click on the background and make a new entry ('string parameter' or something like this), which should resemble the ones already in there. Type the parameters needed to start MySQL. I guess you may also try this trick in another way, through making a DOS shortcut in Windows/Main Menu/Startup folder, but I am not sure whether the DOS box will stay afloat or not, or whether this can be done at all.
    As to stopping MySQL at the end, you can make a DOS shortcut and place it on the desktop. I guess Windows will exit MySQL anyway, but I am afraid it will pop up a box saying it can't exit the program automatically and will ask whether you want to do it.
    Also, on Windows 98 there is the so-called Task manager if the above advice fails, try whether it can handle this. Apart from all this, there are programs on www.winfiles.com, www.tucows.com, etc, that can be adapted for this purpose. Good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by okhvatstas:
    Go to the Windows Registry (run regedit.exe in the Windows dir). While in there, go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current Version - Run. You will have a list of programs that run on startup independently of the entries in Windows/Main Menu/Startup folder. Right click on the background and make a new entry ('string parameter' or something like this), which should resemble the ones already in there. Type the parameters needed to start MySQL.
    [/quote]

Thank you! This worked great for starting up mysqld at startup. As far as the shutdown goes, I have seen the WinUtils package from http://www.ozemail.com.au/~daylott/software.htm . It will make a shutdown folder in my programs menu. I was hoping I would be able to do this without installing additional software. I need to set this up on another computer. The owner of that computer is not very pc savvy, so I would like to minimize the potential problems. If anyone out there knows of a registry hack to run a dos command at shutdown, please help. If all else fails, I'll try the WinUtils.