1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.

Please let me know your opinion. Re-building a website again.

Hi;

Back in 2007 when I was trying to learn the differece between get and post I started building a small website to sell membership to locals in this city.

5 years later the site is making AVG $150 weekly which is incredible. I spend 10 minutes a week on it just to read ads and make sure there is no profanity.

The site is not secure at all, it is ugly and hard to navigate. Paypal IPN is not even working properly. It is an embaressment to WWW.

Now I learned a lot more about php, mysql and I have a great designer too.

I am thinking of re-doing the whole thing. New design, new php (re-do in CI FW) and update the database design as well and make the Paypal 1 painless 1 click experience.

But I hesitate because:

1 - I worry that I loose the excellent ranking in Google.
    2 - They say if its not broken dont fix it.
    3 - More on number 1. Without Google it wont make sense.
    4 - Costs. About $1000 for HTML and CSS.
    5 - Lots of work

Would you please leave a comment and let me know what would you do if you were in my situation. Leave it as it is or fix it? There is no option to edit the current one, its very bad. Has to be re-done from start.

Thank you.
    Last edited by zxcvbnm; June 20th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1. Depends what you do to it.
    2. It is broken. You said so yourself: insecure, ugly, awkward, and broken. If those aren't bad then what are they?
    4. So that's 5 weeks of profit?
    5. It doesn't seem like there's any rush to complete the rewrite.
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by requinix
    1. Depends what you do to it.
    The current one doesnt have friendly url. The new one will. I think I have to do something with php headers. Not sure yet.
    2. It is broken. You said so yourself: insecure, ugly, awkward, and broken. If those aren't bad then what are they?
    4. So that's 5 weeks of profit?
    5. It doesn't seem like there's any rush to complete the rewrite.
    Basically it's just the Google thing. If there was a way to guarantee I am not gonna loos that, I'd start asap.

I also want to ask you something else if you dont mind. How do you plan making a website? For example what do you do before builing the site. Is there any softwares that help plan and sturcture functionalities and...?

Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if the new one will have friendly URL then there will be two ways to access your site e.g.

1. www.domain.com/index.php?whtever
    2. www.domain.com/friendly-url.

so i dont see why you would lose the google rating?

it is broken, paypal thing isnt working properly, you said it yourself, it (site) needs re-working.. so just do it, dont take the current site off line, work on a different domain/sub-domain etc that way your profits will still be coming in

cant you do html/css yourself? get designer to do PSD and you create the actual site yourself.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Dazed&Confused
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
    I also want to ask you something else if you dont mind. How do you plan making a website? For example what do you do before builing the site. Is there any softwares that help plan and sturcture functionalities and...?
    For me the amount of design depends on how the code will be laid out. There's not really a spectrum, but I tend to see one where procedural programming is on one end and something like the active record pattern is on the other.

Some people might follow the active record pattern, or some other Object Oriented pattern religiously and insist it's the "right way", but I'm pragmatic. PHP is a loose language and if the right tool for the job is simple procedural design, I'll use that.

But I digress. Without knowing the scope and function of the site you're talking about it's difficult to advise, but there are a few general questions you can ask that might help you get started:

1. Is there a lot of reused functionality?
    2. Is there an authentication and/or authorization requirement?
    3. Do you want presentation and business logic separate?*
    4. etc.

* I'd pretty much always answer "yes" to #3.

The more functionality and business logic you need, the more justified (again, IMO) OO becomes. Even if you're sure you need a ratchet, you still need to make sure to use the right size socket. So you need to identify the key points of the job first and foremost.
  11. Come play with me!

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    if the new one will have friendly URL then there will be two ways to access your site e.g.

1. www.domain.com/index.php?whtever
    2. www.domain.com/friendly-url.

so i dont see why you would lose the google rating?
    Content should only be accessible at one URL, so if he supports friendly URLs instead of the original ones he'll need to 301 to them.
    1. Grab whatever information is associated with whatever came in through the effective, post-rewritten URL ($_GET and whatnot).
    2. Figure out what the correct URL for the page is ("friendly-url").
    3. If the original URL (index.php?whatever according to the REQUEST_URI) was not correct then 301 redirect.

It'll take some time to catch up but the page should keep about the same ranking: the 301 says that it's the same content, just moved to a different place.

Comments on this post

• dmittner agrees : Good call. I wouldn't have thought of doing the 301's.
  13. A Change of Season

Content should only be accessible at one URL, so if he supports friendly URLs instead of the original ones he'll need to 301 to them.
    1. Grab whatever information is associated with whatever came in through the effective, post-rewritten URL ($_GET and whatnot).
    2. Figure out what the correct URL for the page is ("friendly-url").
    3. If the original URL (index.php?whatever according to the REQUEST_URI) was not correct then 301 redirect.

It'll take some time to catch up but the page should keep about the same ranking: the 301 says that it's the same content, just moved to a different place.
    I have many URLs like this:
    http://www.site.com/ad_have.php?ad_id=41956#ad
    http://www.site.com/ad_have.php?ad_id=4154#ad
  15. Come play with me!

Okay, it just means you'll be 301ing a lot of pages.
  17. A Change of Season

Okay, it just means you'll be 301ing a lot of pages.
    I have +20 thousand ads. What do you recommend?

Thank you
  19. Come play with me!

...They're ads? Why does it matter what the URLs are? People won't see them.
  21. A Change of Season

...They're ads? Why does it matter what the URLs are? People won't see them.
    I guess then all I need to do is to redirect from
    /ad_details.php
    to
    /ad-details

Correct?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo