1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pop up log in box

Hi,

I am completely new to PHP but want to create a pop up log in box when you visit my site, therefore it does not let you enter before you enter your credentials, can this be easily done?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

A
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

google 'php basic authentication'

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : When you recommend insecure practices, at least *tell* people that they're insecure.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jimmyg999
    google 'php basic authentication'
    Ok will do, Thanks!
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Do not use HTTP authentication except for unimportant stuff. It's extremely insecure, and it's not very user-friendly.

It does offer mild protection against ordinary visitors looking at your site, but it's completely and utterly unsuitable for holding off attackers.

If you need real protection, use a custom login form over HTTPS and hash the passwords with the bcrypt algorithm. PHP 5.5 comes with a new password API for that. If you don't have PHP 5.5 but at least PHP 5.3.7, there's an excellent "emulation" library.
    Last edited by Jacques1; August 14th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo