1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to use preg_replace instead of eregi php function

Hello,

When I moved to a new server, eregi function generates too many errors. I like to use preg_replace instead of eregi function.

Here is my block of code:
    if($rstate && !$rcity && !eregi("outside",$rstate)){
    $h1title=str_replace('DDD',$tsstate,str_replace('XXX',$tsstate,$pagetitlet));
    echo str_replace('DDD',$tsstate,str_replace('XXX',$tsstate,$pagetitlet));

I changed it to:
    if($rstate && !$rcity && !preg_replace("outside",$rstate)){
    $h1title=str_replace('DDD',$tsstate,str_replace('XXX',$tsstate,$pagetitlet));
    echo str_replace('DDD',$tsstate,str_replace('XXX',$tsstate,$pagetitlet));

But it is looking for another value. How do I add the third parameter for preg_replace to get it worked?

Thanks.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

I think there are several misunderstandings.

First of all, eregi() doesn't replace anything. It simply tries to match a string to a regex. The modern equivalent of this would be preg_match() with the "i" modifier. The manual tells you this, actually.

However, the regex is completely useless anyway, because you simply wanna search for a substring. What you want is stripos().
    Last edited by Jacques1; June 21st, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You mean I just need to replace eregi with stripos function and it will work?

Thanks.
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Basically, yes. But you cannot literally replace it, because the order of arguments is different, and you need a strict check for false, because stripos() returns 0 if the string starts with "outside".

PHP Code:
    stripos($rstate"outside") === false 
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo