Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well if we're doing personal histories...

Age 6: AppleIIe installed in my classroom. Oregon Trail and Number Munchers were fun, but I got hooked on LOGO very quickly.

Age 11: first family computer, a Compaq Presario with a custom OS based on Windows 95. It took me 3+ months to figure out how to drop to the desktop. Got really into games.

Age 14: First computer in my room. Stayed really into games. Internet in my bedroom got me into...other things. Still no great programming experience aside from game hacks like Diablo cheats.

Age 16: My high school introduced "business computer programming," a course focused on VB and VBA. I blew through it and insisted on another. They got the gymnastics teacher to teach "web mastry", a basic HTML/JS course.

Age 18: I enter college and take Perl, Python, Java, PHP, JavaScript, C, C++, x86 Assembly, robotics, computer architecture, networking, information system design, cisco IOS.

Age 19: My roommate and I co-found an online store which became the web presence for big companies like Betty Crocker. I become a PHP/MySQL expert at this point in my life.

Age 23: First "real" PHP job.

6-7 years later I'm doing zero professional programming, though I'm still the resident PHP expert at my company and obviously I do things on my own like the forums.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Well if we're doing personal histories...

Age 6: AppleIIe installed in my classroom. Oregon Trail and Number Munchers were fun, but I got hooked on LOGO very quickly.

Age 11: first family computer, a Compaq Presario with a custom OS based on Windows 95. It took me 3+ months to figure out how to drop to the desktop. Got really into games.

Age 14: First computer in my room. Stayed really into games. Internet in my bedroom got me into...other things. Still no great programming experience aside from game hacks like Diablo cheats.

Age 16: My high school introduced "business computer programming," a course focused on VB and VBA. I blew through it and insisted on another. They got the gymnastics teacher to teach "web mastry", a basic HTML/JS course.

Age 18: I enter college and take Perl, Python, Java, PHP, JavaScript, C, C++, x86 Assembly, robotics, computer architecture, networking, information system design, cisco IOS.

Age 19: My roommate and I co-found an online store which became the web presence for big companies like Betty Crocker. I become a PHP/MySQL expert at this point in my life.

Age 23: First "real" PHP job.

6-7 years later I'm doing zero professional programming, though I'm still the resident PHP expert at my company and obviously I do things on my own like the forums.
    why did you choose PHP over all the other languages that you studied?

btw that is one hell of a history (in a good sense of course).. kudos
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

w3cschool is the best site to learn ihe php.

Comments on this post

• ptr2void disagrees : http://www.w3fools.com/
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    why did you choose PHP over all the other languages that you studied?

btw that is one hell of a history (in a good sense of course).. kudos
    At the time, PHP5 was just coming out and we were interested in the evolution of the language and its "new" object model. The power differential between the new PHP5 and the PHP4 we were taught in school was impressive, so we started fooling around with it and went from there. We also needed to do some rapid prototyping (PHP's specialty) and were using MySQL so it was a logical choice at the time.

If I met someone today who was doing the same thing, I'd recommend Python if they were trying to learn for fun, and Java if they were trying to learn for a career.

w3cschool is the best site to learn ihe php.
    No it isn't.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo