1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New project & further steps

Hello,

As some of you might know, I've been learning PHP for the past 3 months, and it has been going very well. Last week I have finished my first fully working blog system, and now I'm working on my next step; a system like the site interpals.

I want to make a website where you can add friends and discuss on forums. I would also like to make it so that you can post messages on eachothers profile, and perhaps even include inbox messages.

My question is; is this a good project for practice, when I've finished a blog cms thing?

I'm also wondering, now that I have some basic understanding of PHP; is it wise to delve into OOP, or FrameWorks? My goal is to get an internship at a really cool webdevelopment agency next year, as they're looking for interns, and I want to be of value with some decent knowledge and skills so that I can actually contribute, as well as learn lots of new things.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Definitely dive into OOP, anything "procedural" is not going to scale. I'm surprised you got a working CMS without classes.

A social network is a decent way to explore because there's so any different features you can add on to the core, but it will never be very large if you're doing it as a first project. There's secrets and techniques of data design and code efficiency that you just won't know about until much later in your career.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

you'll need OOP and frameworks if you wanna do big projects.

Personally, I think it's way too early to start with some large project after only 3 months. When we start programming, we first write a lot of crap code and then constantly get better. If you define an architecture for some project and start programming, you'll be bound to this architecture. You can't rewrite your application every day. This means you'll have to waste a lot of time with bad stuff you already know better.

I'd rather spend my time learning, playing around, trying out different things, checking out how other people do it. And then I'd do some small, but good projects.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

you'll need OOP and frameworks if you wanna do big projects.

Personally, I think it's way too early to start with some large project after only 3 months. When we start programming, we first write a lot of crap code and then constantly get better. If you define an architecture for some project and start programming, you'll be bound to this architecture. You can't rewrite your application every day. This means you'll have to waste a lot of time with bad stuff you already know better.

I'd rather spend my time learning, playing around, trying out different things, checking out how other people do it. And then I'd do some small, but good projects.
    Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of projects I could work on?
  9. No Profile Picture

Even though I have been programming in PHP since 1999 I too new to learn new skills so when ever I want to find a project to do to test new stuff I volunteer for a non-profit (normally dog rescue) and write code for them.

I get a project to work on and they get something done for free and I feel good about giving back

Contact local non-profits and see if they need a mailing list or many need a database of donors. So many needs out there I am sure you will find one

Originally Posted by thechooch
    Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of projects I could work on?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo