1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Questions about Remote Test Servers

First, I am a complete novice when it comes to programming, so pardon my ignorant questions.

I hired two programmers to work on my project. They say they need a remote test server for testing things, before making it live, so that the changes are not live until all are okay.

So, my questions:

What are Remote Test Servers?

Why are they necessary?

Can they be set up with normal reseller or shared hosting?

How can you prevent the world from seeing what's on it?

Do you need a domain name for this?

How do I go about setting up a remote test server?

Any other comprehensive document to read up on this?

Thanks for your help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Normally a system like that would be called a staging, development or testing system. "remote" is not a good adjective to use for it because the word "remote" has so many different, unrelated meanings.

Nearly all medium to large sites have at least one such system, primarily for the purposes of previewing and testing changes before they go live. In most cases, people other than the developer will and should review the changes before they go live, and it is easiest to do that using a staging system; particularly if the person reviewing the changes is not a programmer or is not actively working on the code.

Ideally, the staging system will match the production environment as closely as possible. They should be essentially identical except for their code and data.

Normally the staging environment would be passed protected to prevent unauthorized people from viewing it.

You don't necessarily need a domain name for it; a subdomain of your production domain would work too.

Setting up the server is probably something your programmers should do, particularly since you're using WordPress, which is notoriously difficult to get running in multiple environments.

A staging environment does not need to be hosted on very powerful hardware, since speed is not a primary concern and the amount of traffic it will receive is very low.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for your response. Very helpful.

When you said "You don't necessarily need a domain name for it; a subdomain of your production domain would work too", won't that cause problems with the main domain?

Also, how to prevent search engines from seeing or indexing this?

Thanks again, for your response!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What problems would that cause?

Putting a password on it prevents search engines from being able to read it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    What problems would that cause?

Putting a password on it prevents search engines from being able to read it.
    I see. Thanks a lot, again, for your help!

Much appreciated!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo