1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Quick Spam Question in PHP file

Hi All,

I have a form on an html page that calls for a error check on a PHP file. I have added required fields and a captcha and wanted to know if the SPAMBOTS out there can still get to this email address in the PHP file called?

So on my main site HTML page I have the form itself go to

<form method="post" id="contactform" action="checkform3.php" onsubmit="return formCheck(this);">

and inside the checkform3.php I have the destination email in it visible as:

$emailTo = 'JDS <myemail@mydomainname.com>';

So even though my email address is not visible in the main html page itself, I am still using a visible email to spambots that go through PHP files on the server, right?

Or should the required field and captcha additions resolve the spamming and I am fine or do I need to also find a way to encrypt or hide the text email in the PHP error check file?

If so, what are the best ways to do that?

Thanks in advance,
    JD
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Anything that is in a PHP variable won't be output to the browser unless you tell it to - so unless you actually output that email address anywhere, no it will not be seen by SPAM bots.

But remember that just because it's not visible on that form doesn't mean that SPAM'ers can't guess your email address or get it some other way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks

At least I feel good now that the automated programs will not get to it and they will have to be human spammers...

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : Please don't close your threads. Often times, other members have additional comments, but they can't help you if the thread is already locked.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo