Thread: Remote Content

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Tobias,
    There is a wealth of content providers that want us to include their content served from their machines on our pages (ie linkexchange, flycast, news sources, weather etc). The problem is that these services are nice as long as "their" site is spitting out the information quickly. When using these services in a table environment, if one service is slow at serving their content, it causes our page to stop and wait or slows your site to a crawl until it is loaded.
    Is their some script out there that can set a timer on the external content loading and skip it if it isn't fast enough, so that the rest of your page can be loaded?
    I am sure many people have been frustrated by this. I have spent countless hours tracing the code on my own site thinking something was broken, only to find out that my site had nothing to do with it. The inclusion of other sites data was causing my site to break.
    Thanks for any help,
    Sam Dement
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    >>Is their some script out there that can set a timer on the external content loading?

If you are the host of the banners or you are running some kind of banner rotating script, you surely can take control of that. If you want to use Perl, simply send a HEAD request and evaluate the returned status, if it's within a reasonable time, go ahead and display it, or else just skip it and jump to the next one. This task requires http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modul...rl-5.48.tar.gz Readme file at-> http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modul...rl-5.48.readme

Likewise, let say it's just a STATIC image from some host, you can evaluate the returned status and decide whether to display such image or try another one.

>>There is a wealth of content providers that want us to include
    >>their content served from their machines on our pages
    Once again, if you get a static banner from them, you can put it into your banner script. If they give you a rotated banner and the content is based on a 3rd party host's banner, then there is NO WAY OF KNOWING what banner is going to display on your page. In other word, you don't have any control at all.