1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm learning to program in bits and pieces. I have a bunch of PHP books and I spend a lot of time reading posts here. I've been able to get things done by trial and error or by asking for help, but I'd like to learn programming in a more structured manner.

Can anyone recommend any resources to help a non-programmer get a better start? I'd prefer to stick with PHP, because I have a basic understanding of it.

Any suggestions? Or is the trial and error method the best approach?

Thanks!
    MW
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I started an online course (16 weeks) at the first of this month for learning PHP ... you can get involved with the course by following the links listed here:
    http://www.scriptschool.com/

It includes forum Q & A (UBB), weekly to-do assignments, weekly workshop and a weekly LIVE radio call-in program with LIVE Q & A.

Stop on by and say hi
  5. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are plenty of tutorials on-line that get you started with the basics. Look for them on these sites
    www.devshed.com www.phpbuilder.com www.hotwired.com/webmonkey

For testing your scripts, if you don't have easy access to a server, I'd recommend you download Omni HTTPd. It's a windows program.
    www.omnicron.ab.ca

It's easy to install and installs PHP4 automatically. It works great for testing scripts on your home machine before uploading them to the web and for doing tutorials.

Hope that helps.

---John Holmes...

------------------
    The manual can probably answer 90% of your questions.

PHP Manual: <A HREF="http://www.php.net/manual

MySQL" TARGET=_blank>http://www.php.net/manual

MySQL</A> Manual: <A HREF="http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/
    ************************" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/
    ************************</A>
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have learned PHP/MySql through www.devshed.com www.phpbuilder.com www.hotwired.com/webmonkey

You can first start with tutorials from www.hotwired.com/webmonkey and then by devshed forums you can master it.

Try www.devshed.com www.phpbuilder.com and www.hotwired.com/webmonkey

Good Luck
  9. .Net Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

<<
    Can anyone recommend any resources to help a non-programmer get a better start? I'd prefer to stick with PHP, because I have a basic understanding of it.
    >>

yea, i have seen your questions many times in this forum ..i would suggest you to do some live projects..after one or two projects you will be very comfortable with the programming envournment..

All the best!!!

------------------
    SR -
    webshiju.com
    www.jobxyz.com-IT Career Portal
    ezipindia.com--WebStudio

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks very much for all of your advice!

TDavid, your online course looks interesting. I probably will stop by in the next week or so.

I've worked through most of the tutorials on DevShed and Webmonkey -- DevShed has some great tutorials. I really need to learn to THINK from a programmer's viewpoint. The only formal training I have (if you want to call it that) was a class in (shudder) Visual Basic. That was a waste of time and money.

John, thanks for the tip about Omni HTTPd. It looks like it will be very helpful (haven't tried it yet).

SR, I appreciate hearing your advice. I agree that the more I attempt, the more I will learn. My problem is, I want to know it all right now!

Thank you again. This forum is a great place to learn. You have all helped me countless times through your many helpful posts! You're lifesavers!

MW