1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Search algorithm

I want to make a search engine that has tick boxes in which they tick the options that they want. How would I make this integratable with web pages.
  3. No Profile Picture

if you put tick boxes instead of text box then you would have to search with limited options. anyway you can give search value ticked to search engine .
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

that question is far too vague. I mean, how on earth could we give you a meaningful answer to that?

What exactly does your search look like? What's your current code? What's your concrete problem?
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Until this question is refined the answer is "with HTML and a server-side programming language like PHP. Possibly also JavaScript and a database."
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

that question is far too vague. I mean, how on earth could we give you a meaningful answer to that?

What exactly does your search look like? What's your current code? What's your concrete problem?
    That's exactly my problem. I was hoping to get some ideas. I'm hoping to have it look like what they would call an advanced search. Search bar with keywords and then tick boxes for specific things. But as for the code I have no idea just yet.
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What "specific things"? If I wanted you to decorate my house with specific decorations, could you start talking to me about it without saying "what do you mean?"

If you want to make a search bar with checkboxes, make it in HTML. Then write a PHP page which accepts the contents of that form and acts upon it.

This is the same instructions for making a blog, a mapping service, a search bar, a business portal, and every other kind of web app. Until you have more of an idea of what you need, we can't really do much.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by mrronoah
    That's exactly my problem. I was hoping to get some ideas. I'm hoping to have it look like what they would call an advanced search. Search bar with keywords and then tick boxes for specific things. But as for the code I have no idea just yet.
    And what to you mean exactly by specific thing in terms of research? category? keyword? ...

Regards,
    Dariyoosh
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    What "specific things"? If I wanted you to decorate my house with specific decorations, could you start talking to me about it without saying "what do you mean?"

If you want to make a search bar with checkboxes, make it in HTML. Then write a PHP page which accepts the contents of that form and acts upon it.

This is the same instructions for making a blog, a mapping service, a search bar, a business portal, and every other kind of web app. Until you have more of an idea of what you need, we can't really do much.
    Yeah i guess i will have to just jump into it and see how i go. I cant really explain what I want.
  17. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by mrronoah
    Yeah i guess i will have to just jump into it and see how i go.
    Or even better: Sit down with a piece of paper and get clear about what you want to do. Write down a concept, draw some sketches etc.

When you can't explain your ideas to others at all, it usually means you haven't really thought them through yet. I don't think it's a good idea to already start with the implementation at that point.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo