1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation What is the Best Way to Secure a Wordpress Plugin to Prevent Piracy?

A friend has built a very powerful Wordpress plugin that was build mainly for his own use - and now he is considering opening it up to the public by selling it, but...

But he's concerned that it will be pirated, and since this plugin is so powerful he really doesn't like that to happen... He doesn't want the plugin to just get into anybody's hands.

So my question is:

What are the best options out there for securing something like a Wordpress plugin? And how bulletproof can you make the security with it?

I'm assuming at least a part of having strong security is when you use licence keys that need an internet connection to be validated, but I have no hands-on experience the complete picture, so I'm asking here.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

how can he open it up to public and be concerned about piracy? unless you mean "open" up to public but they need to PAY. if so then isnt there some sort of licence he can apply for? MIT GPL or similar? why doesnt he/you look at current paid for plugins and see how they handle this situation?
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

no offense, but most people grossly overestimate the value and uniqueness of their work. I'm sure the plugin is great, but is it really that fantastic that everybody wants to steal it?

So my first suggestion is: Tone it down. There are many commercial plugins, and they're all provided as normal source code. That's how you do it.

Yes, there are ways to obfuscate PHP code. But they require the end user to install additional applications, and they're annoying as hell, because you can't modify the code or simply see what it does. In the end, many people will shy away from buying the plugin. Don't do it.

By the way, why isn't your friend asking the questions?
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo