1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Select option from database

Hi. I have a database which holds a 'Task status' this can be
    - klaar
    - bezig
    - hold

Now when the users sets a status. I want the user to see what he has set, problem is with my method that it shows
    - hold ( currently set )
    - klaar
    - bezig
    - hold

So it's showing the other value again cause it doesn't know that this is the selected one. How can i make sure the select doesn't repeat options.. this is my code

PHP Code:
    <select name="status[]">
    <option selected="selected"><?= $project['taskstatus'?></option>
    <option value="klaar">Klaar</option>
    <option value="bezig">Bezig</option>
    <option value="hold">Hold</option>
    </select>
    Thanks.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Set selected on the option that matches the taskstatus.
    PHP Code:
    ?><select name="status[]"> 
    <option value="klaar" <?= ($project['taskstatus'] == 'klaar' 'selected="selected"' ''?>>Klaar</option> 
    <option value="bezig"<?= ($project['taskstatus'] == 'bezig' 'selected="selected"' ''?>>Bezig</option> 
    <option value="hold"<?= ($project['taskstatus'] == 'hold' 'selected="selected"' ''?>>Hold</option> 
    </select>
  5. Sarcky

PHP Code:
    $options = array('klaar''bezig''hold');

foreach ( 
    $options as $option ) {
      echo 
    '<option' 

. ($option == strtolower($project['taskstatus']) ? ' selected="selected"')
    ' value="' $option '">' ucfirst($option) . '</option>';

HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. Contributing User

@requinix : smart solution! why didn't i think of that! thanks!

@ManiacDan : I was also thinking of array but didn't find a working solution. what's ucfirst ?
  9. Sarcky

The PHP manual has all the information needed to answer "what is this function"

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    The PHP manual has all the information needed to answer "what is this function"
    I know that the manual holds that information. But since this was an open topic i thought i'd just ask it. My apoligies
  13. Did you steal it?

It is, and we're totally free to discuss stuff, but questions like "what does this function do?" really are best answered by a trip to the manual. There's much more information there than anyone here would be willing to type out.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

is that "<?= " considered a legit longform php open tag example now?(I thought only <?php was accepted)
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by DonR
    is that "<?= " considered a legit longform php open tag example now?(I thought only <?php was accepted)
    PHP Code:
    <?= $var ?>
    echo's the var immediatly

it's like

PHP Code:
    <? echo $var ?>
  19. Did you steal it?

<?= is still technically a short tag but it's now guaranteed to be available (since 5.4 I think) regardless of the short tags setting.
  21. Sarcky

It was supposed to be removed from the language but people like Requinix are old dogs and can't be taught new tricks, and they complained loudly enough that it got put back into the language forever.

23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    It was supposed to be removed from the language but people like Requinix are old dogs and can't be taught new tricks, and they complained loudly enough that it got put back into the language forever.
    Are there other nice php shorttags that make typing easier? the <?= is really handy!

Comments on this post

• requinix agrees : it really is so don't pay attention to Dan. actually that's a good idea regardless

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo