1. Essentials and Non-Essentials.
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

best way to send email validation

What is the best way to send out a unique validation e-mail to each user within a database. The validation e-mail is to ensure that the person really has that e-mail address. Once they get the e-mail, they are required to click on a special link with a unique validation code.

I'm a little unsure of the best and most efficient/secure way of implementing a system like this. This is how I see it at the moment:

The user enters their e-mail address in system and then my script will enter their e-mail address in database but will mark it as temporary (in another row). My script will then create a random number between 9 and 12 characters long. This will be placed into another row in the database. Then my script will send an e-mail to the e-mail address given with a link which contains this validation code.

Once the user clicks on the link in their e-mail, it will do a select query for their e-mail address based on their validation code, ie.

PHP Code:

$result 
    mysql_query("SELECT emailaddress, status FROM contacts WHERE validationID=20349822028"$dbconn); 
    If a result is found, then status will be changed from temp to confirmed and the e-mail address is now confirmed.

This was the first idea I came up with, I haven't looked at others yet, but I just wanted to know the best and most secure way of doing it. Is the way above okay? How can it be improved? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan
  3. Contributing User

thats how I did it, I can't think of a way any more efficient.
  5. Essentials and Non-Essentials.

hi chibiguy,

Sounds good to me, I think I will just go with this method then.
    Just good to know that others are implementing similar methods.

Cheers,

Nathan

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo