1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can I use my shared hosting for this

I'm watching this php and mysql tutorial. And he says at the beginning of the video that "the minimum requirements for following this tutorial is to be able to access a local web server and have MYSQL installed and obviously have PHP". Am I over the minimum requirement if I have a shared web hosting with MYSQL and PHP?

I've seen books that tell you to download the apache server and all this other stuff. Is this difficult to set-up? If I do download all this stuff, can I transfer all the code that I write to my webhost and it will work nicely?
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Do not use a public webserver for playing with PHP and developing. There are a lot of mistakes you can make, and there are a lot of people on this planet waiting for exactly that. A security issue in your local test environment isn't too dangerous. The same issue on a public server can be a disaster.

Of course your webhoster should take some basic security precaution itself, but don't rely on that. They certainly won't be pleased if they get attacked through your website.

So set up a local test environment and use that until you have a solid understanding of PHP and web security. There are complete packages for this, for example XAMPP. They already include Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. and run out-of-the-box, so you don't have to take care of the technical details.

Transferring PHP code from one environment to another is usually painless -- as long as you don't use very new or very old features. But like I said, you shouldn't upload your stuff until you really understand what it does and know that it's secure.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo