Solid regext and substr

Hi;

I need to make sure I end up with a number with this format:

1 - Start with 61
    2 - Followed by 9 digits.

For example all numbers below should end up like this:61405333535

+61405333535
    0405 333 535

So far I have this and seems to work fine. Any tips or issues I missed?

Thanks
    PHP Code:
    $phone $_GET['phone'];
    //remove everything but numbers
    $phone preg_replace("/[^0-9]/","",$phone);

//Remove 0 from begining if exists 
    if (substr($phone01) === '0')
        {

$phone ltrim ($phone,'0');    
        }

//If already has 61, remove it
    if(substr($phone,0,2) == '61')
         {

$phone ltrim ($phone,'61');    
         }
    $phone "61".$phone;    
    echo 
    $phone
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

this is actually wrong. In any case, it's very cumbersome and user-hostile.

The function call ltrim($phone, '61') removes every "6" and "1" from the beginning of the number. So if my phone number happens to be +61666111666, I end up with an empty string. The second argument of ltrim() is treated as a list of characters, not a single prefix. And the function removes as many characters as possible. See the manual.

Silently modifying user data is generally a very bad idea. I do not want you to somehow guess my phone number. If I make a mistake, I want to be told so that I can correct it.

Start by defining the acceptable input. It would be something like this (after you've removed the whitespace):

Code:
    /\A(?:0|\+61)(\d{9})\z/
    You can make it more permissive, but all obvious mistakes should be rejected.

The end-user number is stored in the first capturing group. So you can take it and simply prepend "61" (shouldn't that be "+61"?). This automatically gives you the desired format.
    Last edited by Jacques1; January 30th, 2014 at 12:34 AM.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

this is actually wrong. In any case, it's very cumbersome and user-hostile.

The function call ltrim($phone, '61') removes every "6" and "1" from the beginning of the number. So if my phone number happens to be +61666111666, I end up with an empty string. The second argument of ltrim() is treated as a list of characters, not a single prefix. And the function removes as many characters as possible. See the manual.

Silently modifying user data is generally a very bad idea. I do not want you to somehow guess my phone number. If I make a mistake, I want to be told so that I can correct it.

Start by defining the acceptable input. It would be something like this (after you've removed the whitespace):

Code:
    /\A(?:0|\+61)(\d{9})\z/
    You can make it more permissive, but all obvious mistakes should be rejected.

The end-user number is stored in the first capturing group. So you can take it and simply prepend "61" (shouldn't that be "+61"?). This automatically gives you the desired format.
    That is how they have desgined it. I thought +61 would make more sense but they want to see the number start with 61.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo