1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best way to start of with Dynamic Web Development?

I am a Application Developer but have been wanting to get into web development since quite a while now. First Query that I came across was how to get started?

Second, what platform should I use for web development? As in what is the general trend that people follow while designing dynamic web content? Is Text Editor the most prominent or software's like Dreamweaver VS etc ?

I want to concentrate on HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript with PHP / MYSQL etc as Back-ends.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by hitechito

I want to concentrate on HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript with PHP / MYSQL etc as Back-ends.
    you answered yourself. If these are the skills you want then learn them. Go on youtube tutorials, books, websites etc to learn the basics.

Then create an example website to further learn etc.
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

Originally Posted by hitechito
    Before you choose a programming language and a database system, you should actually evaluate the different possibilities. Sure, PHP together with MySQL is the first combination that pops up when you do a search for "web developing". But that doesn't mean it's the best variant. I don't wanna start yet another flame war, but MySQL is rather limited compared to fully-featured database systems like PostgreSQL, Oracle etc. And PHP tends to be a bit chaotic and verbose.

So have a look around, try different languages (Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP) and then choose the one that fits your needs and preferences. If you end up with PHP and MySQL again (for whatever reason), that's fine. But you shouldn't use them just because they're all you know.

I also think you should forget about CSS3/HTML5 and all that other fancy stuff for a while. Yeah, they have all kinds of nice new features. But that won't matter to you when you're just beginning to learn to basics. They're also highly experimental with limited browser support. Learn plain old HTML 4/XHTML 1 and play with the new HTML5 features later.

For writing code, use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse. A good editor like Notepad++ will also do, but it will make programming much less comfortable, since you don't have features like code completion, error checking, debugging etc. Do not use WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver. The HTML they produce is garbage. If you wanna learn how to write good HTML, you need to write it yourself.

So this is what I recommend (in this order):

• HTML 4 or XHTML 1.0
    • CSS
    • A server-side language (Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP); later a web framework for that language
    • An SQL database system (PostgreSQL, MySQL, ...)
    • JavaScript; later a framework like jQuery or Prototype
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

if you're on a windows computer install xampp - this will give you apache (a web server), mysql (a relational database), phpmyadmin (a web based interface to mysql), and php.

PHP is the name given to both the language and the interpreter.

If you install the interpreter then you can parse php files, written in php!

Compiled vs Interpreted:

unlike a complied language, the php interpreter micro compiles the necessary source files, runs the code then discards any binary code it may have had to 'compile' in the first place. The alternative php cache (APC) project is aimed at caching those compiled binary files and facebook's hiphop project aims to convert your php to c++ and then compile to a reusable binary.

Security and Sanitising Data:

Never Ever Trust User Submitted Data

Assume All Users are Attempting to Hack Your Site

HTML, PHP, JavaScript and MySQL/SQL are all different and are not aware of each other, or the nuances of each so as data gets passed from one technology to another you must sanitise the data for the technology you are about to put the data into.

For example, PHP can be used to output HTML, send SQL to a database and write javascript files. While the data is in PHP it is just a string - PHP does not know it's supposed to be [HTML/SQL/JS] - only you as a developer knows that so when outputting html use the php function htmlentities to avoid cross site scripting; when executing a SQL statement then use the database to help you 'prepare' the data for executing (see the PDO link in my sig)

Online Tutorials

PHP is nearly 20 years old. Both the intended use and core library are vastly different to day to what they were 10 years ago, let alone in 1995 when PHP first emerged.

As such most of the tutorials you will find online are out of date. Also, 100% of the online tutorials ignore security - leaving the responsibility to you to figure that out and implement it. For the pedantic few out there, the number of tutorials including security are so few they are insignificant in numbers. Security concepts are best found in discussions

Theory vs Practice

Find real world examples to tackle to learn the theory/concepts you discover - Do Re-invent the wheel (c'mon - we don't roll our cars over logs or use wooden spokes and metal tyres any more do we?)
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo