1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Stream Videos without download

Hello,

The website I'm doing will stream videos like youtube. I want the user to see the videos only through the website, after logging into his own account. I want to prevent the user from downloading the videos (using softwares like unplug, miro etc or using any other method). Is this possible ?

Please suggest.

Thanks.
  3. Jealous Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Very short answer: no.

Somewhat short answer: yes but not forever and it won't save you from a motivated downloader.

Normal answer:
    Users have to be able to download the video to their computer to be able to see it. That shouldn't be too surprising: can't see the video if you don't have it. Really, "streaming" is just a download that never ends. (In most uses of the term.)

But to be more specific the user has to download something. That could be an encrypted video and a special player (Flash no doubt) that decrypts and plays the video. Hypothetically: I've never actually seen that done but I believe it's possible. But you'd have to rotate out the encryption key so someone decompiling your player couldn't grab the key and use it forever. And you'd have to rotate the way the key is stored in the compiled Flash so that someone couldn't make an automated tool to recover the encryption key.

But even if you do that someone can still record the video manually and you can't stop that.

So you can't win. You can make it difficult to varying degrees but ultimately there is no perfect solution.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    Very short answer: no.

Somewhat short answer: yes but not forever and it won't save you from a motivated downloader.

Normal answer:
    Users have to be able to download the video to their computer to be able to see it. That shouldn't be too surprising: can't see the video if you don't have it. Really, "streaming" is just a download that never ends. (In most uses of the term.)

But to be more specific the user has to download something. That could be an encrypted video and a special player (Flash no doubt) that decrypts and plays the video. Hypothetically: I've never actually seen that done but I believe it's possible. But you'd have to rotate out the encryption key so someone decompiling your player couldn't grab the key and use it forever. And you'd have to rotate the way the key is stored in the compiled Flash so that someone couldn't make an automated tool to recover the encryption key.

But even if you do that someone can still record the video manually and you can't stop that.

So you can't win. You can make it difficult to varying degrees but ultimately there is no perfect solution.
    Thanks for the good answer. I also have the same thoughts. As you said, The youtube videos are getting saved in the temp folder as a file, before playing.

My friend said that it is possible to use a key that lasts for a few days. After that time expired, the user cannot play the downloaded video.

Also my friend said that we can use Encrypted Urls for the video, so that it plays in the browser, but the other programs cannot download it as the URL is encrypted. Is this possible ?
  7. Jealous Moderator

Originally Posted by aniyanrajan6
    My friend said that it is possible to use a key that lasts for a few days. After that time expired, the user cannot play the downloaded video.
    Yes, but they can still download it before it expires.

Also my friend said that we can use Encrypted Urls for the video, so that it plays in the browser, but the other programs cannot download it as the URL is encrypted.
    Wouldn't do any good.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, but they can still download it before it expires.
    Yes, the key will be stored in the downloaded video file itself, but it will expire soon. But It is just setting a limitation, not prevention.

Wouldn't do any good.
    Do you mean the softwares other than the browser will be able to download, even if we use the encrypted url ?
  11. Jealous Moderator

Do you mean the softwares other than the browser will be able to download, even if we use the encrypted url ?
    1. Yes. Someone can easily make their own software that looks (as far as your server is concerned) like any browser they wanted.
    2. You can even make the browser download the video as a file.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo