1. No Profile Picture
    frequent PHP idiot
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Structural access question

I have users and admins. Obviously admins need more features than users. How would I go about implementing these 2 UI's? Should I develop 2 blocks of code, one for each or for each new feature should I just check if the user is admin or not? My concern is having 2 blocks of code to maintain, but I also don't want 500 of the same if/else statement all around the interface.

Whats the best way to do this?
  3. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Read about access control lists

You basically maintain a list (in a database) which would map ( in your case) user groups, eg users and admins; with what they are/are not allowed to do.

When a request comes in you query the acl to make the decision
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  5. No Profile Picture
    frequent PHP idiot

Originally Posted by Northie
    Read about access control lists

You basically maintain a list (in a database) which would map ( in your case) user groups, eg users and admins; with what they are/are not allowed to do.

When a request comes in you query the acl to make the decision
    thanks for the info. The concept name is exactly what I was looking for.
  7. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Consider phrasing the problem not as "which UI do I show" but rather "what parts of the UI do I show". Unless they're completely different, an admin will probably be able to do everything a regular user can plus more, and deciding whether to show or hide that "plus more" can be much easier.
  9. No Profile Picture
    frequent PHP idiot

Could i also use this concept to show various parts of the UI based on which page I'm on? Or am I just overcomplicating things?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

yes you could show various parts of the UI.

Q about controlling access: should you store that info in a session? i.e. session['type'] = admin or should you query the db everytime?
  13. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

The session will identify the user (and user group) then query the database for user group, component and allowed action
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo