1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

What technology is briteverify.com using?

Hi;

How can I clean my email list like these guys?

How do they validate emails so fast?

Thanks
  3. Forgotten Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Took me about 10 seconds to find this page. They check syntax (which doesn't say how strict they check it), MX records (which isn't actually a definitive test), and try to verify the email address (which doesn't guarantee a valid recipient).
  5. A Change of Season

Is there anyways I could do this myself?
  7. A Change of Season

I mean the right way
  9. Forgotten Moderator

Yes: check the syntax (however strict you want to be), double check that the domain has an A/MX record (having an MX is typical but not required), and if you're still having huge bounce rates (likely won't) then you can worry about trying to validate recipients.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Requinix

Once you have checked the email syntax and the MX/A records, is the only way to know 100% if the email account exists to email them and see if it bounces?

Would you also say that the only way to have a 100% clean list(no bounces) is to make sure everyone on that list 'double opts-in' when they sign up?
  13. Forgotten Moderator

If you get a bounce then you can reasonably conclude that the recipient does not exist. Anything less and you can't really be sure whether they exist or not because what happens is entirely up to the remote mail server; maybe the email will be rejected because the mail server doesn't like you, or maybe it will be silently rejected, or maybe it will be delivered to a catch-all account, or maybe it'll make it to an actual inbox and human eyes.

This is getting beyond the scope of this thread, and the entire PHP forum really, but yes: using a double opt-in (aka sending a verification email) helps. Clear unsubscribe links, sender verification measures, all those other nice things are good too because bounce rates and spam filters are directly related to each other. But even if you do everything possible you won't get 100%, so instead your goal should be keeping up to date on mailing list and anti-spam best practices.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo