1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

This may turn out to be a lengthy post, but I think I am a little confused on Mysql results. Actually, I know I am because I can never seem to get them right... Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the scenario... I am having trouble understanding what is returned when I do a MYSQL_QUERY() and how to handle it in the program... I know it returns an array, but I don't know how to get what I want out of the array.

I know how to do a MYSQL_QUERY looking for a bunch of values, using :
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">code:</font><HR><pre>
    while ($return=MYSQL_FETCH_ARRAY($return_array)) {
    ...do this...
    }
    [/code]

What if I am only expecting one return? Obviously I do not want to do a WHILE loop for the one return.. So in the instance of :
    $return_array=MYSQL_QUERY("SELECT userid, password FROM table WHERE userid='$user_name'");
    [/code]

I am only expecting one result, how do I get it out? I tried :
    $return=MYSQL_FETCH_ARRAY($return_array);
    echo $return['userid'];
    echo $return['password'];
    [/code]
    but that doesn't seem to work either... I don't know how to use MYSQL_FETCH_ROW (I looked on php.net and couldn't see a real difference in .._ROW and .._ARRAY but I still could never get ROW to work... Also, in the code above (fetching the userid/password) I get a MYSQL error if there is no matching userid... do I have to account for this possibility in my code, or am I just possibly doing something wrong with my usage?

I guess what I'm fetching for is information regarding returns from a QUERY, and how to handle them, a website would be nice if there is one out there... also, if you know of somewhere to find a bit of information on cookies in php... I got the setcookie part, and I understand the majority of that, but I'm reading about some browsers not handling this and that, and people using a header() function for their cookies, and I would like to know what that is all about... if anyone knows of a site that details that kind of information (again, been to php.net, that wasn't too helpful...)

3. No Profile Picture
    worshipper of DOT
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mmccue:

$return_array=MYSQL_QUERY("SELECT userid, password FROM table WHERE userid='$user_name'");
    [/code]

I am only expecting one result, how do I get

[/quote]

With that query? No ..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>

it out? I tried :
    $return=MYSQL_FETCH_ARRAY($return_array);
    echo $return['userid'];
    echo $return['password'];
    [/code]

[/quote]

"userid" will be in $return[0] and "password" in $return[1] ..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>

but that doesn't seem to work either... I don't know how to use MYSQL_FETCH_ROW (I looked on php.net and couldn't see a real difference in .._ROW and .._ARRAY but I still could never get ROW to work... Also, in the code above (fetching the userid/password) I get a MYSQL error if there is no matching userid... do I have to account for this possibility in my code, or am I just possibly doing something wrong with my usage?

[/quote]

If I'm not totally wrong, in which case some of the "gurus" around here will surely notice, using mysql_fetch_row() and the above query would result in $return["userid"] and $return["password"] ..

Forgive me if I'm wrong ..

Anyways, get a copy of "PHP3: Programming Browser Based Applications" by David Medinets, it's a good book if you need the fundamentals of stuff like queries and cookies ..

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Linux, the operating system with a clue - Command Line User Environment.[/quote]

geeee... thanks!

/closecut