1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi

I saved my cash and sprung for a business hosting account from a major ISP. I told them ahead of time what i intended to do, how i intended to do it. NOW, i find out that they offer -no- support for any sort of database other than flat text. Their advice? "Oh, hrm, well, you could go elsewhere..."

My question is this. I need a message board system similar to this one. That is the only thing i need a db for; logins and the board. Can this be accomplished with a flat text DB? I really wanted to go with PHP, but all i am finding is MySQL stuff. They list a few perl modules: AnyDBM_File.pm db_file NDBM_File.pm ODBM_File.pm SDBM_File.pm gdbm_file perl5db.pl, but i know nothing whatsoever of perl.

Advice? Are there any resources i could use to show me how to do this with a flat text DB? are there any workarounds that would let me use a traditional DB. Thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you could do it with txt files but...it would be kind of big.
    I'd demand my money back, sack them off and go to another isp, try Netcom.
  5. No Profile Picture

If the only reason you wanted it for was for a message board system like this, then why don't you buy the software? This board, UBB, is not very expensive. There's even free boards similar to this. All the work's already done.

I'm with timbo. Get a new hosting site. I use bhcom.com and am very happy with it.

------------------
    -Randy
  7. No Profile Picture

You might want to try Phorum
    It is a PHP based messaging forum app
    seems to be quite nice
    I don't remember the URL but I'm sure a simple search on your fav engine will turn it up quickly!
    Mce

------------------
    Watch out where them huskies go don't you eat that yellow snow -FZ
  9. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mce:
    You might want to try Phorum
    It is a PHP based messaging forum app
    seems to be quite nice
    I don't remember the URL but I'm sure a simple search on your fav engine will turn it up quickly!
    Mce

[/quote]

As far as i know Phorum only support MySQL databases and therefore isn't of much use with flatfiles ,)

phexter

[This message has been edited by phexter (edited April 19, 2000).]
  11. No Profile Picture

RE your host....

I had bad experiences with Liquid Web and CiHost.com ... avoid them like the plague imho ...

I now use communitech.net who seem very fair, efficient and informative about what they're doin with the network, reasons for any outages (and VERY fair compensation ... 12 hours outage got me 3 months free hosting and the switched me to a new server overnight & recovered 80% of all data intact from a very nasty h/ware failure).

They provide MySQL, Perl, PHP, etc as bog-standard and have a nice account management UI with many features. I think I got 350mb space & it costs me about $30/month...

Worth checking out if you haven't resolved Ur hotings probs already

------------------

GE @ Obsidian Software
  13. No Profile Picture

I use communitech also, and am very happy. They're on CNet's top 30 list. You really shouldn't put up w/ any service that doesn't even offer MySQL...it's free for god's sake!