Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Vinyl lettering designer

Hi all. I am wanting to kill two birds with one stone and need some help. I have learned bits and pieces of php in the past for whatever I needed it for, to install scripts or to modify them, etc. I would like to develop my php skills further now as I've been asked for help from friends for some web development help and I always like expanding my knowledge. That's the first bird, the second is I run a vinyl sign business mostly from a website elitecustomsigns.com and I would like to develop a script to expand the site. I would like to learn how the script works, as well as get it to work properly. I do not want to have it written for me. Some scripts are already available for this exact purpose, examples are:

custom-vinyl-lettering.net/vinyl_lettering_tool.asp?lt=1
    developflash.com/liveartmini/readme.html
    doityourselflettering.com/create/

These scripts are very expensive, and buying one would defeat the purpose of developing my skills further. Here's what I would like out of my script:

-written in PHP (I'm not sure that PHP has all the functionality I need, maybe AJAX as well?)
    -automatic updating
    -height/width calculator based on font
    -ability to add/subtract true type fonts
    -ability to reverse text
    -character count
    -price calculator based on letter count OR total square inch + multiple colors + shadow/outline
    -ability to add shadow or outline on text
    -shadow color/shadow direction
    -bold/italic
    -arc the text
    -multiple line text
    -paragraph formatting left/right/center
    -ability to integrate into oscommerce (like this script has been: edesignaudio.com/ringbuilder.php)

-it would also be nice to have the ability to upload a picture/vector and work with it online as well, such as the tshirt designers, like this one: customink.com/lab/?PK=01100

I have a script started that I've put together from other sources I've found and heavily modified, found here:

elitecustomsigns.com/designer/index.php

Any info on any one of these, or all of these features that I would like to add to my lettering designer would be helpful. If someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial, another language to complete part of the script, a better way to do one of these, or anything else, it would be helpful. Even if someone would point me towards a certain PHP function that I should read about, it would be helpful. I do not know them all, nor do I know all of the uses for them! Thanks in advance!
  3. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I don't do much with graphics in PHP, there are graphics libraries out there that will perform all sorts of things on the fly. You do seem to be on a great start with your project.

Wether you know it or not, there is a good chance your script is making use of the GD library (however there are some alternatives, GD is perhaps the most popular one though) Sifting through the official documentation will probably help you get a handle on a lot of things.

If you are looking to give the user some of the advanced functionality that the tshirt designer website has (all the drag and drop, no page refreshing etc), you will need to implement some javascript. Alternatively you could also create a java applet to do this. (By the way do not confuse java with javascript)
  5. No Profile Picture

I have heard of this GD library but I've never read anything about it. I will get to reading today! As far as javascript or java goes, neither should be a huge problem. I started programming small applets in java several years ago...before I lost interest, and I should still have my 'java bible' somewhere around here. As far as javascript, I've been using that for small things longer than php. I've definately not gotten in deep enough to write something like this before. Is the tshirt site using javascript to manipulate the image like that? For exapmle: after you ad the text, you can move it around on the shirt? I do not need that functionality, but it is awesome to be able to do such things in real time and have it update automatically.

If it would be better (more efficient, quicker load, more functionality) to use javascript, let me know and I can search a little more on that. I never learned how java applets send user input into a shopping cart, and have never seen it done with oscommerce, but I have seen scripts integrated (like the speaker ring builder).

I'll keep reading!
  7. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I typically would find Java applets easier to write than anything in javascript. Mainly because javascript requires checking for cross browser compatibility, wheras java has a virtual machine, which will close to eliminate cross platform issues.

However java applets do tend to be memory hogs, so it might not be as pleasant to load up a java applet (from the users perspective). I'm sure there are a few other things to consider when going either wa as well, but this is the biggest issue I can think of.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    I typically would find Java applets easier to write than anything in javascript. Mainly because javascript requires checking for cross browser compatibility, wheras java has a virtual machine, which will close to eliminate cross platform issues.

However java applets do tend to be memory hogs, so it might not be as pleasant to load up a java applet (from the users perspective). I'm sure there are a few other things to consider when going either wa as well, but this is the biggest issue I can think of.

I have used java in the past, but this is much more complex than anything I've come close to. How does a java applet handle accepting user input and posting it to a website, like oscommerce? I assum everything else (image manipulation, price calculation, etc) can be handled within the applet itself.
  11. Contributing User

You may need something more like Flash since it is vector based which is the same foundation as fonts. I expect you also work with graphics and are not most of those also vector based? Illustrator? Freehand? PDF Upload (which could be created from one of the aforementioned programs)?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by BUrndog
    You may need something more like Flash since it is vector based which is the same foundation as fonts. I expect you also work with graphics and are not most of those also vector based? Illustrator? Freehand? PDF Upload (which could be created from one of the aforementioned programs)?
    That is something I hadn't considered. I have never actually seen a web-based vector editor until now. I use to play with flash, actually got fairly good with animations, but I am so far out of that it's not funny.

I found vectormagic.com by a google search and it looks pretty interesting. I know everything that I want to do is possible by using flash, I might just have to learn much more than I was planning! How do you go about posting the information (price/quantity, whatever) to oscommerce to check out with the shopping cart? How would you save that vector image after the person is done creating it?
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by cxixer
    That is something I hadn't considered. I have never actually seen a web-based vector editor until now. I use to play with flash, actually got fairly good with animations, but I am so far out of that it's not funny.

I found vectormagic.com by a google search and it looks pretty interesting. I know everything that I want to do is possible by using flash, I might just have to learn much more than I was planning! How do you go about posting the information (price/quantity, whatever) to oscommerce to check out with the shopping cart? How would you save that vector image after the person is done creating it?
    The Flash interfaces with PHP and mySQL. I expect you save out the file as a PDF. Maybe a SWF file can be processed by your cutting machine but I think the best solution is to write the final product out as a PDF.
  17. No Profile Picture

The Flash interfaces with PHP and mySQL. I expect you save out the file as a PDF. Maybe a SWF file can be processed by your cutting machine but I think the best solution is to write the final product out as a PDF.
    A PDF would be fine, EPS would be better for my vinyl cutter to read. I suspect this should not be a problem since vectormagic has that ability.

I am also wondering, if someone has a logo/etc as a vector or an image, would they be able to upload it and work with it in the flash editor?

I see that stickerjunkie.com/generator.php has icons that you can add, but I do not see anywhere to upload your own artwork.

I would not need that functionality initially, but it would be something to think about in the future.

BUrndog - are you experienced with flash? Maybe I can post some more specific questions when i run in to them. I am just looking into some basic video tutorials right now.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by cxixer
    A PDF would be fine, EPS would be better for my vinyl cutter to read. I suspect this should not be a problem since vectormagic has that ability.

I am also wondering, if someone has a logo/etc as a vector or an image, would they be able to upload it and work with it in the flash editor?
    I would suggest adapting something similar to your needs.

Here a program that may do what you want but was designed for t-shirts:
    http://www.pdesigner.net/Custom_T-Shirt_Oscommerce.html
  21. No Profile Picture

I would suggest adapting something similar to your needs.

Here a program that may do what you want but was designed for t-shirts:
    http://www.pdesigner.net/Custom_T-Shirt_Oscommerce.html
    That looks like it is based off of the same script I used, and looks about as bad as mine right now. Nice shirt graphic though. Thanks though.
  23. No Profile Picture

Any Luck?

HI - I know this thread goes back a few years, but if you afre still around --- did you get a solution to your question.

I am looking for such a solution and would like some assistance.

thanks.
  25. No Profile Picture

Nope, I moved on to other things. Since this post I've made a few advances in my technical abilities, and if I were to try the same thing today I'd look into making it with HTML5, not PHP. Hope that helps.
  27. No Profile Picture

thanks a lot for the reply.
    I want to take my signage business to the internet and release me from the design side.
    So i really want something like this.
    i came across a html5 site funny enough, and there solution is EXACTLY what i need, but obviously it is for their own use.

thanks - will keep on looking.
  29. Contributing User

paulbothma,
    Do you have any examples of HTML5 solutions?

We went with a Silverlight method but that was a couple years back. Silverlight and SVG XAML technologies interfaced with .aspx

But, I'd like to explore HTML5 options so if you have any examples those would be appreciated.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo