1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it best to have my site dynamically accessing the database? Or should I just build HTML documents when I update? Updates will only be every couple of weeks or so.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Do you want to make a big site and is it going to grow? What's the structure of the updateable content (is it in one place or not?). Do you have tables that need to be updated as often as once a week??? (the last one is important).
    I made a web site for a friend of mine recently and I used PHP for complete site generation. For example, I have 'The page was last updated on..." line on each page, a picture album (as more pics are added, the table automatically adds code to finish the table code, it also has separate rows for vertical and horizontal pictures; the links section and the downloads sections are also completely operated thru a database. Other things may be best done in HTML only, but I have include files that are easier to maintain than HTML, especially because I made the site for a person who is not so knowledgeable about HTML.
    When you add all these factors, you will be able to decide whether to use PHP or not. I decided for it, as it can use, for example, global variables that you will need to update in a single file, instead of going thru all your pages and changing something... when you decide your design is no longer good, it will be lots easier to change it if you have just a couple of php3 scripts that generate different pages depending on variables passed to them (like photo.php3?page=start&lang=eng).
    I suggest you go with PHP and generate pages on your computer, then upload complete HTMLs to the server. Get in touch with me on stanis@sibfair.nsk.su if you would like to know how to do that...
    See you,
    Stas