1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question FORTRAN for Web Development?

I have a client I've been doing PHP projects with for several years, and he has been trying to get a few of his colleagues to go with me for a couple of months now to do similar projects. He says they are choosing to stick with their current developer because:

1) He develops their apps in FORTRAN.
    2) He says he uses FORTRAN because it is secure.

Have any of you heard anything like this before?

Thanks.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Only in jokes or on the DailyWTF. If he's comfortable with Fortran, that's great for him, especially if he can find clients that will pay for it. Similarly, if he's comfortable writing error messages in Latin that's great for him, especially if he can find clients to pay for it. I wouldn't choose to do it that way.

The security of an application is based on a number of things, the least of which, I'd think, is the language used to write it.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeah, it sounds completely wonky to me. I've been developing web apps for 15 years and never once have I ever seen or even heard of a web app being developed in FORTRAN. It's pretty much a dead language, is it not? I could be wrong, I guess.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff disagrees : Yes, you are wrong. See below.
  7. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

You can use just about any language to generate web pages, I've heard of website that use c++ as well. Though I would not argue that fortan(/c++/java/anything else) is more secure than PHP (or vice versa). If you know what your doing all lanagues can be very "secure".

Personally though, I would use the tool for the job, not create a hack so the tool can do the job. I would encourage him to step outside his safety zone, learn more than just fortan. Knowing a wide variety of languages allows you to approach problems in different, and often more practical ways.
    Last edited by misterdanny; August 18th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
  9. Null Pointer Exception

Originally Posted by EricPaulson
    Yeah, it sounds completely wonky to me. I've been developing web apps for 15 years and never once have I ever seen or even heard of a web app being developed in FORTRAN. It's pretty much a dead language, is it not? I could be wrong, I guess.
    I wouldn't say it's dead, it is very dated though and rarely brought up.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff disagrees : Nonsense. See below.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Fortran is mostley used for math heavy applications.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees
    • Skipt agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by EricPaulson
    He says he uses FORTRAN because it is secure.
    This is why he uses FORTRAN for web apps? Seriously? There could be many reasons to use FORTRAN (maybe), but if this is the deciding reason, he is incompetent, his clients are morons, and he probably still lives in his mom's basement.

I'm sorry, but for general purpose web app development, it's not the right language in any way shape or form.
    Originally Posted by misterdanny
    I wouldn't say it's dead, it is very dated though and rarely brought up.
    Baloney. FORTRAN is actively used for many things in science. There are very modern FORTRAN compilers available. Where do you get your information?

Comments on this post

• misterdanny disagrees
    • Skipt agrees
    Last edited by Arty Ziff; August 20th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.
  15. Null Pointer Exception

Baloney. FORTRAN is actively used for many things in science. There are very modern FORTRAN compilers available. Where do you get your information?
    I never said that wasn't true. I just said it's dated (it's faced a few years, wouldn't you agree), and it's rarely brought up (Hell there isn't even a fortan FORUM here, much less people posting about fortan... Other than to ask what it is, or to brag that they know an older programming language)

I also said it isn't dead... meaning it's still used.

I will now make a retaliatory derep on you for twisting my words around.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I used fortran 77 many years ago. As somebody else mentioned, it's used for math/science applications.

It's not for web development.

I worked on an application to calculate the air speed, flow characteristics and draw the vector graphs on an aircraft wing at various speeds like Mach 1, 2.

Yeah, good luck doing that in PHP.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Yeah, good luck doing that in PHP.
    PHP is turing complete, there is nothing you can do in fortran that you can't do in PHP. Given my experience with fortran I would have to say that it would probably be a lot easier to program it in PHP than fortran, performance might become an issue though.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : So many people miss the meaning of Turing complete.
    • misterdanny agrees
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

that program had to run 2.5 days. so, still good luck doing that in php.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees
  23. Sarcky

Now that we have all the requirements, PHP would not be the best choice for this. I still probably wouldn't pic FORTRAN, but to each his own.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  25. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Originally Posted by Master__Chief
    that program had to run 2.5 days. so, still good luck doing that in php.
    You saying that it took 2.5 days for it to finish it's computation I'm assuming?

I'm not saying that you could not do that in PHP because you can, but it would not be optimal, just like using FORTRAN for Web Development.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    I never said that wasn't true. I just said it's dated (it's faced a few years, wouldn't you agree), and it's rarely brought up (Hell there isn't even a fortan FORUM here, much less people posting about fortan... Other than to ask what it is, or to brag that they know an older programming language)

I also said it isn't dead... meaning it's still used.
    Man, C++ is dated... And Perl? Who uses that? Egyptians? And this PHP thingy? Development started in 1994! The stone age!

FORTRAN is alive and well, being used for the things it was designed for by the users it is targeted at - which are not web developers.

What's this? FORTRAN 2003? FORTRAN 2008?
    I will now make a retaliatory derep on you for twisting my words around.
    Repeat after me: Rep is a toy. Rep is a toy....

Comments on this post

• Onslaught agrees : still wondering how words were twisted, it was a direct quote...
    Last edited by Arty Ziff; August 20th, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
  29. Null Pointer Exception

Originally Posted by Arty Ziff
    Man, C++ is dated... And Perl? Who uses that? Egyptians? And this PHP thingy? Development started in 1994! The stone age!

FORTRAN is alive and well, being used for the things it was designed for by the users it is targeted at - which are not web developers.

What's this? FORTRAN 2003? FORTRAN 2008?Repeat after me: Rep is a toy. Rep is a toy....
    .... hello, we have no disagreement. I was only angry about the fact that you disagreed with me, even though we've both been saying the same thing about fortan.

Rep is serious business.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : super serious

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo