1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm trying to find a php compiler or independant interpreter that will allow me to view PHP pages without having to have a web server with PHP installed. The idea is to eventually put a web based catalogue on CD, hence my problem. Does anyone can knows where I can get such a program, even rumours of a possible program on such-a-such-a-site will be appreciated. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    Can't be done, assuming you want the user to use their browser to see the pages and aren't writing a custom applicatin to view with.

Why is this necessary? I mean, PHP is meant for dynamic pages. If it's on a CD it isn't very dynamic is it? Why not use PHP to create the pages and store the pages themselves on the CD?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a client that quite frequently sends out mass mailings containing CD's. Basically it is his site on a CDrom. The only reason I have not gone PHP with his site, is because, well, I don't know how to do a CD of this type.

If it were up to me, I would have my client give up his idea of his site on CD, but I guess he has his reasons.

It is for these types of people that an app of this sort would be GREAT.

Another use:

Making non web apps. Program a cool game for the web? well package it on a CD.

I can think of more reasons, and sure you could pick them all apart, and tell me to use a different language. But I guess I choose to be difficult...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There are a couple of command-line tools that can grab a website and save it to disk locally. You could use one of these on your PHP website to save all the dynamic pages as a static 'snapshot' at a given time. Then you could just save these pages to CD.

A couple of these (for Unix) are 'wget' and 'curl'. I know there are Windows programs to do this also. Wget has trouble, though, with links using javascript, so you might have to do a little finish editing. I have heard that curl is more advanced, so you might want to try it instead. Also, PHP itself can now be compiled to use curl.

There might be some issues with how the querystrings are converted to filenames, but there are ways around this also. If you use Apache, it's very easy: just search for the word 'mod_rewrite' in the Apache forum.