1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm a complete PHP newbie but I had the luck to get a whole PHP4 system for free that includes also some INC files. All the files (.PHP4, .INC.PHP4 and .INC) are located on different directories like the following:
    www.domainname.com/main/include <- .INC & INC.PHP4 files www.domainname.com/main/main <- main PHP4 files www.domainname.com/main/main/ext <- various secondary PHP4 files needed for popups and others

NOW

My first problem is that this system was already used on another site, so I had to update all the URLs and paths to make it suitable for my site. Even if I tried (as a newbie) to fix them, I still didn't solved several errors I get like wrong paths (or are they URLs?) written on the various include(). Can you tell me what is the right syntax to use depending on the DIFFERENT directories I have? I mean, is it OK just to write i.e. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">code:</font><HR><pre>include("timestamp2utime.php4");[/code] whatever the directory is or have I to follow the right 'tree' path?

My second problem is... As I got an already used PHP4 system I got those famous .INC files already filled by old datas. What should I do if I would like to use them completely cleared and ready for my site? Also have I to give them a specific CHMOD (at the moment they're 664?

------------------
    Cr4z33
    ==================
    Pizza r00000x!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Robert_J_Sherman
    Let me see if I can answer the question about using the include() and/or require() function(s).

basically these functions are the same, but obviously different.

Anyway, here's what I can tell you about using the function.

First, are you familiar with using SSI? If so, then you are already quite familiar with the include() and require() functions.

In your include statement simply put the "full" or "virtual" path to the file you wish to be included..

In your example.. your include statement for a file found in the "include" directory might look something like so..

Let's first assume that your full server path looks something like:
    /usr/home/httpd/mydomain.com/html/

This would put your "domain names root" in the "html" folder.

The full virtual path to a file in "main/include" would look like:
    /usr/home/httpd/mydomain.com/html/main/include/

So.. if the file was called my.inc our include or require statement might look like so:

include('/usr/home/httpd/mydomain.com/html/main/include/my.inc');

OR
    include('main/include/my.inc');

The first would be the "VIRTUAL" path while the second would be the "FILE" path.. as termed in SSI statements.

Please don't confuse SSI with PHP.. two totally different animals..

Let's throw a twist into this, and say your include file was in the "root" while your program file was in the include/main/ folder..

So, to include the file in the root, your include would probably look like:
    include('usr/home/httpd/mydomain.com/html/my.inc');

or
    include('../../my.inc');

Confused??

If so, the first instance is coming from the "top" of the tree, while the second is coming from "where your file is".

In either case, and it really doesn't matter which way you direct PHP to the file, just so long as you get it there.

full virtual paths can get pretty long.. especially if you like to "burry" your files.

Anyway, hope this helps.

------------------
    SnR Graphics,
    Low Cost Hosting and Web Development.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you Robert for your include() and require() info!
    Now I only need that someone explains me how to 'reset' the old INC files and what CHMOD have I to set to them and to their dirs... I get permission errors, so I believe I've to change them...

------------------
    Cr4z33
    ==================
    Pizza r00000x!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo